IGNORED

Different ignition

Stick figure

20 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I've learnt in those years early '80 to program the 6802 …. 1 more than the 6801

LOL. Me too. Changed my life.  LOL

Interesting though about the numbers... The 6801 is a microcontroller with on-board RAM and ROM while the 6802 is just a processor. So even though the 6802 has a higher number, it doesn't necessarily mean it's "more".

EFI, ECU, microprocessor, "computer", "control",,,  there are a lot of words being battered about here.  The control algorithms coded in to the microprocessor circuitry would tell how much "computer control" was happening.  Just because there's a microprocessor in the ECU doesn't mean it was "controlling" the whole system.  It could be doing one small part, like handing the O2 sensor data.  Response speed would be important for its role in the system.

The original question was about the distributor being "computer controlled".  Even if there is a microprocessor in one of the EFI ECU's, it wasn't used to control the ignition system. 

Just trying to keep things clear.

Don't want to get in to this guys world - https://www.performancechiptuning.com/nissan/240z/

4 minutes ago, Stick figure said:

I kinda thought about 80s computers and today's technology. Atari vs Xbox 

Your's is Atari at best. The ECU controls the fuel injection. The computer tells that you left your lights on, if you want to call it a computer.

Seems to me you want a Japanese car to to behave as a SBC. It doesn't from all I've read. They're different but we'll help as much as we can. Don't get tunnel vision or blinders on. So many options for your car.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

And take a pic of the microcontroller.

That would be nice to see!  and a copy of the circuit diagram too!  Very interesting..

19 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

6802 is just a processor.

Yep!  Just like the 6810!  That was the processor found in the commodore 64!  ( in 1985 i builded a plotter that was controlled by the commodore 64!)

So we're clearing into the academic portion of the thread, but I got some pics...

Here's the ECU that I took out of an 83 NA with an auto trans:
P1160131.JPG

Here's a pic of the inside:
P1160132.JPG

And here's a close-up of the microcontroller. Hitachi  HD6801VOP. Also note that you can see the 4MHz crystal in the lower left corner of the pic. Now granted... Just because there's a 4MHz oscillator doesn't guarantee that the microcontroller is actually running at 4MHz. I don't know if they are dividing that down or PLL looping it up. But my assumption is that the microcontroller is running at 4MHz  :
P1160133.JPG

And since I had the camera out... Here's the ECU out of an 82 NA with a 5-speed trans:
P1160135.JPG

And the internals are still analog voodoo:
P1160137.JPG

So my (one and only) data point seems to indicate that they went to computer control in 1983.

So is there only one circuit board in the microprocessor ECU?  Not a board sandwich like the early ones.  Did they shrink the package down, the processor replacing a whole board's worth of components?

Would be interesting to see what is connected to the processor.  Might also be interesting to compare it to an ECCS ECU.  See if it's a step on the progression.

Somewhere out there is a list of what some of the components inside the early ECU's do, their functions.  Resistors, capacitors, etc.  superlen has seen it, I think. @superlen

20 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

But my assumption is that the microcontroller is running at 4MHz

In 1985 a commodore 64 ran on 1 Mhz..  It could be possible that this 6801 ran on 4..  take a scope and find out! ?

I once opened an '79 280zx "ecu" and it had a few round 10-12 wire (in a circle) "integrated circuits", the precursor of the integrated circuit as we know them today.?

16 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

take a scope and find out! 

I once opened an '79 280zx "ecu" and it had a few round 10-12 wire (in a circle) "integrated circuits"

Lol. I could do that. But it would be waaaaaay down on my priority list!

Those metal can circular integrated circuits were used starting in 75. The pins were identified with letters "A", "B", "C", etc instead of pin numbers 1, 2 , 3.

Precursors to the plastic DIP. This one is from 77:
P1060898.JPG

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

This one is from 77:

It looks simular to the '79 i saw..  Funny those cooling devises on the "IC's"..

Btw... we talked about the 6801 and 6802...  I made a mistake.. i learned to program 6502 not 6802 and the commodore64 had a processor that was close to that one, the 6510!  But the 6802 probably has the 6502 processor in it..(?) besides rom and ram..  (I think i start a thread pure about the different controll units in a 280zx one of these days..)