IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

You can also take this time to measure piston deck height. Put a straight edge on the deck, turn the crank until the piston rests on the straight edge, zero the indicator and go all the way up. Place the indicator along the wrist pin and the straight edge intersecting the wrist pin.

• Like 1

Thanks for the previous advice guys. Made progress this week despite a few minor setbacks.
I’ve installed the head, timing chain, timing chain cover and water pump.
Here are pics from today.

af5006b7a852f641f3d3aacf29a959ff.jpge9f8318b20333c1375c79581c6ca2f83.jpg143102245fc5a99b7f83203d660f4069.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, the block is painted. DE1651 Cast Coat Iron from Duplicolor. I didn’t really like the look of the Datsun turquoise blue, I thought it clashed with the red engine compartment. Blasphemy to some of the Datsun hardliners but it’s a 77, not a series 1 collector car. I really like the look of this block color. I have a red powder coated valve cover and I think the colors go well together.

bd13ab622685fd3fd3bce0b9b8276b3a.jpg

• Like 4

Hey guys a couple questions. I’ve disassembled the thermostat housing assemblies for cleaning (probably going to put them it in a media agitator / tumbler because it has a lot of corrosion, oil and coolant residue. It was really hard to remove those sensors.
So there are several sensors in this thing.
1. Thermotime switch
2. Water temperature sensing switch
3. Thermal Transmitter
4. Water Temp Sensor.
5. Thermal Vacuum Valve

Seems like a lot of redundant sensors but I plan on replacing all of them. Actually will clean and test the Thermotime switch first because that one is pretty expensive.

So there is another sensor that that goes on on a block just above the Thermostat housing. It has two wire coming out. Reading online it’s another Water temp switch and is used as part of the EFI?. I was reading the EFI bible and it seems to be written for a 280z not the ZX. I realize the concepts are the same but it seems these sensors and switch might be in slightly different locations because the pics in the Bible of the sensor housing are different than what came on my 82 L28.
Can anyone clear this up. See my pics
My initial impression is that the TVV and the Water Temp Sensor were put in the wrong place. The TVV isn’t supposed to be on to the Thermostat housing but on the other component.
Thoughts? a82cf42bcee56b02af22a5e244fe0144.jpg

e0eda4681c9a3f61774b0b3f68e498fb.jpg9f6280044def5f69742e6c4bf2eaf900.jpg