IGNORED

Interior Door Arm Rest Coming Loose

DannDZ

My driver's side door handle is pulling loose from the door. The metal plate embedded in the handle and used to connect it to the door panel is starting to pull away from body of the vinyl handle.

Does anyone know how to repair this problem? I have some handles that I can practice on, but I don't know how I should approach it.

-Dann

Assuming it's on an S30 and you are talking about the interior handle then there is only 1 small screw that holds it to the door frame.  It's behind the black plastic liner (if you still have one) on the escutcheon plate at the bottom of the page.  

S30-141-01-1.JPG

9 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

Hey Dann,

Help us out with some info on your car - model and year.

Sorry. Realized that I wasn't clear. It's an early 71. It is the "door arm rest" that is having the problem. They are basically foam filled vinyl with a small embedded metal plate that accepts the screw from the door panel. If I'm not careful, one of these days I'm going to give it a tug and it will be separated from the door. 

12 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Yup, the foam gets old and crunchy - doesn't hold the metal plate well anymore.

Very true. The screw that holds the arm rest to the door has actually "pulled" the metal into a slight cone shape, preventing the piece from laying flat against the door.

I'm playing with an extra one that I have to try to figure out how to fix it. It's hard to work on metal with no real backing. I am currently trying to pound it flat using a socket as a base. I think it may work. I will also need some spray foam to fill in what I have removed.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully restored arm wrests from early Zs.

3 hours ago, DannDZ said:

Very true. The screw that holds the arm rest to the door has actually "pulled" the metal into a slight cone shape, preventing the piece from laying flat against the door.

I'm playing with an extra one that I have to try to figure out how to fix it. It's hard to work on metal with no real backing. I am currently trying to pound it flat using a socket as a base. I think it may work. I will also need some spray foam to fill in what I have removed.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully restored arm wrests from early Zs.

Dann,

The metal plate in the arm rest is designed with the cone shape to fit the installation screw.  No way the screw caused the plate to deform.   I think you are on the right track to re-seat the plate in a bed of spray foam and then use a layer of foam to seal it.  Hopefully the spray foam will bond to the original foam, that stuff will stick to almost anything!

This is a timely topic for me,  I just removed my arm rests while pulling the interior for my on going restoration.  As mine have the same problem, I plan to attempt a repair similar to what has been discussed so far. If I'm successful I will post here, Hopefully I will get to it over the winter.

3 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

This is a timely topic for me,  I just removed my arm rests while pulling the interior for my on going restoration.  As mine have the same problem, I plan to attempt a repair similar to what has been discussed so far. If I'm successful I will post here, Hopefully I will get to it over the winter.

That would be the very looong and cold Canadian winter, eh? :ph34r:

• Like 1

• DannDZ changed the title to Interior Door Arm Rest Coming Loose