IGNORED

What is this hole??

toastedboy54

40 minutes ago, toastedboy54 said:

Fully jb weld it or use it as dealer around the ready rod? Also how would one prep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would drain coolant , and use a drill bit or mini file to clean hole and rough insides of hole if you can. Blow it out good and follow instructions with JB. 

Drilling and tapping would work , but maybe feel more comfortable not drilling . You won’t know if you drill into a completely open cavity or partial which would make tapping a little harder. There’s not much pressure there so some kind of epoxy would work. Also heat wouldn’t be bad since it’s a coolant passage .

Just my thoughts 

I had a similar hole in my E88 head from  @zKars stroker motor. The original builder may have used a coolant system on the head like others have mentioned. Jim had a leak from under the manifold he could never locate until I took everything apart and found this leak. I used a threaded rod to plug it. 

5201E295-477F-4CB8-9657-5D4A1F32670D.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I have a few recent Hondas that have bleeder screws on the top of the engine to get the air pockets out of the coolant system.

My old 240sx had something similar to release gas.

if you start drilling and using power tools to clean up there, make sure you throw some rags into the intake and exhaust ports, you don’t want any shards of metal falling in there at all. 

I think the drill/tap/loctited bolt would work fine. Maybe you should test this out on something old before you do it on your car. Junk yard had a bunch of scrap you can test it out on before you actually go to the head.

Don't over-complicate things.  ~14 psi coolant mixture is all it needs to seal.  The bigger you make the hole the more difficult it will be to seal.

You could probably put a piece of tape over it and the manifold force on top of the tape would keep it sealed.  Or even just a blob of silicone as you place the gasket.  It's not a head gasket leak, it's just a coolant leak.

• Like 3