IGNORED

I've been looking for a project

z8987

23 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Have you given the engine a thorough tuneup?  Adjusted valve lash, new spark plugs, set ignition timing?  How many minutes of running are on the engine since you got it restarted after sitting for 15 years?  Might still be some rusted and gummed up parts in the engine.

I adjusted the valves prior to starting the car.  I put transmission fluid in the cylinders prior to starting. It sat for quite a few days prior to draining the fluids and refilling.  New plugs, but I haven't set the timing. I did put a light on it yesterday, but I'm not sure what to do next.  It's been a few years since I've done this type of stuff. I've probably ran the car for close to two hours.  No driving, i'be backed it in and out of the garage a few times.  I think the transmission is slipping. I have to rev it a little for the car to start to move. 

There's a whole carb tuning section in the FSM's, plus ZTherapy has a CD that they sell, and I think that there is some stuff in the Downloads section of this site.  I think that there's more to it than  lifting the piston and seeing what happens.  I could be wrong, I'm not a carb guy.  Good luck.

5 hours ago, z8987 said:

I adjusted the valves prior to starting the car.  I put transmission fluid in the cylinders prior to starting. It sat for quite a few days prior to draining the fluids and refilling.  New plugs, but I haven't set the timing. I did put a light on it yesterday, but I'm not sure what to do next.  It's been a few years since I've done this type of stuff. I've probably ran the car for close to two hours.  No driving, i'be backed it in and out of the garage a few times.  I think the transmission is slipping. I have to rev it a little for the car to start to move. 

I think I used brake fluid, I used what was recommended on this site.

20 hours ago, z8987 said:

Am I looking at a rebuild?   Any recommendations in Northern California ? 

In Sacramento you can contact Gary Cook at Vintage Performance, 916-481-1763, 4631 Auburn Blvd.

He vintage races his 240Z, and mainly works on Z's and Mustangs.   He can point you in the right direction for a machine shop..

Z8987, notice you're in Elk Grove, CA.  So am I.  ?.   

2 minutes ago, sfm6s524 said:

In Sacramento you can contact Gary Cook at Vintage Performance, 916-481-1763, 4631 Auburn Blvd.

He vintage races his 240Z, and mainly works on Z's and Mustangs.   He can point you in the right direction for a machine shop..

Z8987, notice you're in Elk Grove, CA.  So am I.  ?.   

Drop by and say hi!  I use to have a cobra, was all hooked up with the cobra folks. I was considering getting another one, but I came across this, so now I need to get hooked up with the z folks. 

I got the oil pan on the car.  Lowered it, and removed the valve cover.  All the lash pads are in place.  This must have been a remnant of a past problem.  I'm still having some troubles with the carbs.  I'll be checking in on some of the suggestions above. It's doesn't seem to be making much difference when making adjustments. I've been using a vacuum synchronization gauge. The gauge will hardly move when making adjustments.  Again, I'll start over with the recommendations above. 

15 hours ago, z8987 said:

I got the oil pan on the car.  Lowered it, and removed the valve cover.  All the lash pads are in place.  This must have been a remnant of a past problem.  I'm still having some troubles with the carbs.  I'll be checking in on some of the suggestions above. It's doesn't seem to be making much difference when making adjustments. I've been using a vacuum synchronization gauge. The gauge will hardly move when making adjustments.  Again, I'll start over with the recommendations above. 

If the vacuum gauge isn't really responding - then it is possible that air is being sucked in somewhere else. With the engine running - spray some carb cleaner around the throttle shafts. If the engine picks up RPM while you are doing that - the throttle shaft bushings are worn and would need to be replaced.  Likewise spray some carb cleaner around the gaskets on the carb isolation blocks (between the carb body and the intake manifold -could also be a leaky gaskets.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:15 AM, Carl Beck said:

If the vacuum gauge isn't really responding - then it is possible that air is being sucked in somewhere else. With the engine running - spray some carb cleaner around the throttle shafts. If the engine picks up RPM while you are doing that - the throttle shaft bushings are worn and would need to be replaced.  Likewise spray some carb cleaner around the gaskets on the carb isolation blocks (between the carb body and the intake manifold -could also be a leaky gaskets.

I have not had the opportunity to try this yet.  Focus is brakes today