IGNORED

Transmission rebuild help

Odinspeenbone

Bought a 85 300zx base model with 96k miles. Ran decently for 2 months until the tranny blew. When I drained her I saw multiple teeth, a washer, a screw and shavings galore. I couldnt find any worthwhile transmissions to purchase so I decided to cut out the middleman and attempt to rebuild it myself. I'm only 19 and have been working on cars for less than a year so I can definetly learn it but I need some guidance as to where I should look for learning material and if there is anything in particular I should know before I start dissembling. My tranny is already out and I split it from the bell housing and where the stick shift is. Thanks in advance.

Also a bearing got completely destroyed near the idle gear and my clutch also got destroyed

20190108_183959.jpg

Start here

https://www.classiczcars.com/files/category/15-300zx/

There are a few options for a FSM download. They are easier to use on a computer as opposed to a phone. There should be full tear down and rebuild instructions in there.

If you shift too aggressively and flog these transmission they won't last. My2cents

• Like 1

People have rebuilt severely damaged transmissions like yours and had good results but often when there is that much metal flying around there is a lot of extra damage.  Beyond the damage a typical rebuild will fix.  One damaged gear replacement could cost as much as having a used transmission shipped.

Take some better closeups and post them.  We like to look at damage.

• Like 2

Personally, I'd rather REFRESH a $300 - $400 trans from the wrecking yard than REBUILD a totaled one. Depending on the damage in the bad one (which is considerable) it may be cheaper and easier to refresh a different one. When you tear the old one down keep everything in order, (I've used wood dowels to keep all the parts in order and correct orientation) clean and inspect one part at a time. Lots of pics. Most of us are already trying to figure out what part of the trans went first and took out the rest. BTW, How much oil was in the trans when you drained it?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Patcon said:

transmissions in your area appear to be $300-400 from salvage yards

Holy moly.  I found a Pick n Pull in Rhode Island.  Might be worth a look.  Pick n Pull salvages what they can before melting the cars down.  They're owned by a steel company, the salvage parts are gravy to them.  They make their money on the steel.

Of course, the whole northeast and all of its states is about as big as Oregon so there are many options.  Good luck.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Holy moly.  I found a Pick n Pull in Rhode Island.  Might be worth a look.  Pick n Pull salvages what they can before melting the cars down.  They're owned by a steel company, the salvage parts are gravy to them.  They make their money on the steel.

Of course, the whole northeast and all of its states is about as big as Oregon so there are many options.  Good luck.

image.png

image.png

That would be a good find if you could get it out

Here is some more pictures for you guys. The first two show the position of the blown bearing and I tried to get as close of a picture as a can. But the third picture shows some grooves on the gears and I wasnt sure if they are supposed to be there or not. Thank you all for the help I'm looking into cheap used transmissions now to rebuild but if my transmission looks salvageable let me know

1547051131030556175267434300814.jpg

15470512454222487860938868227057.jpg

15470512922375654127094015062091.jpg

15 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Personally, I'd rather REFRESH a $300 - $400 trans from the wrecking yard than REBUILD a totaled one. Depending on the damage in the bad one (which is considerable) it may be cheaper and easier to refresh a different one. When you tear the old one down keep everything in order, (I've used wood dowels to keep all the parts in order and correct orientation) clean and inspect one part at a time. Lots of pics. Most of us are already trying to figure out what part of the trans went first and took out the rest. BTW, How much oil was in the trans when you drained it?

There was about 6 or 8 quarts of oil that came out I'm not exactly sure but it was in that ballpark