IGNORED

Finally Got My Garage Mahal!!!

Marty Rogan

11 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I put these in my rental house after I went up on the breaker amps. Work great. Microwave and all kinds of other crap ladies use on the countertops. I think there's 8 per strip. Like a big ole surge protecter from Lowes. $20?

1002814444_15753427.jpg

I do miss my house where I installed multiple 20 amp circuits to feed my basement workshop.  I could power my table saw and dust collector at the same time.  Here, I only have one 15 amp circuit that likely feeds several other rooms in the house.  Once I get power to the new workshop, I might do power strips like that so I can keep all my power tool chargers plugged in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Your cabinets look just like the uppers I put in my garage this weekend.  The garage in the house I just bought only has one outlet and I have three workbenches that wrap around four walls.  I like what you did with the exposed conduit.  I might have to do something very similar.  With a slab on grade house, all power is under the house, so grabbing more power from the panel is much harder than I'm used to.

I like the drafting table too.  I grew up drafting and I still love doing manual drawings.

That is a pet peeve! The IRC code here only requires one outlet in the garage. WtH!! When I build a house there will be 8-10 at least 4' AFF around the garage. Maybe more depending on how big it is. Why do my houses cost more??? A hundred things like this!!

Jeff, Can you not bring power overhead from the panel to get a dedicated circuit to the garage?

6 minutes ago, Patcon said:

That is a pet peeve! The IRC code here only requires one outlet in the garage. WtH!! When I build a house there will be 8-10 at least 4' AFF around the garage. Maybe more depending on how big it is. Why do my houses cost more??? A hundred things like this!!

Jeff, Can you not bring power overhead from the panel to get a dedicated circuit to the garage?

It's even worse than that.  There are ZERO light switches or real lights in the garage.  There is a 4 foot fluorescent fixture with a pull cord in the center of the garage that plugs into the garage door outlet.  Otherwise, the only light is the one in the opener which has an on/off button on the opener's wall switch.  Hopefully, I can find power in the attic where I can pull from to add a bunch of garage lights and drop wiring for a switch.

I'm not sure yet if I can go overhead.  I sure hope so.  This is all new to me having the panel outside on the side of the garage.  I'm used to the panel being in the basement with a subpanel in the garage if it's detached. I have not yet been up in the attic, but the panel has multiple large conduits coming out of the ground, so I'd assume power comes from underground and heads back underground.  I haven't figured out yet where the power comes into the garage.

Will do. I think once I get up in the attic, I will have a better idea what I have to work with, but I like your subpage idea!  I could pull two 20amp for the outlets and another 20amp for the lights. 

Edited by Jeff G 78
typo
  • Like 1

I used the pack of 8 led fixtures from EBay (and others).  They are very lightweight, very easy to install, and very bright.  My space is about 24 x 26.  I need at least 4 more to lighten up two sides.  Easily worth the money IMO.  I've had so many different workspaces and none ever had light, so I've done this many times. 

My only recommendation is to buy their pigtails to get the spacing you need.

Screenshot_20210519-164838_eBay.jpg

• 6 months later...

Very delinquent on posting these, but life has been pretty busy. 

We moved into our dream home in the foothills just north of Boise in early October.   I had the garage floor epoxy coated before we moved in. Garage is almost 1500 sq-ft.  Garage was epoxy coated by my friend who does this for a living so the price was quite reasonable.   I pick up the four post lift next Tuesday. NewAge pro series cabinets arrive in January.  Garage is coming along, but still filled with packing boxes.  Here are a few pics.

IMG_20211005_204941_475.jpg

IMG_20211005_204941_439.jpg

IMG_20211005_204941_538.jpg

IMG_20211005_204941_517.jpg

20211009_184232.jpg

20211010_094500.jpg

IMG_20211010_094949_672.jpg

• Like 4

Really nice space!  Nice trinkets to fill it with too.  Love the epoxy floor.  Always dreamed of being able to wipe up an oil spill with a rag and have no residue. 

That'll be a great place to get some work done comfortably.