IGNORED

Series 1 interior restoration

Sunline

2 hours ago, DannDZ said:

What is your design goal? To maintain originality or to modernize your 48-year-old car? Personally, faced this question in 2000, I went original as possible. Your goal may be different. Are you installing electronic ignition? Larger wheels and tires? Changing up the suspension or adding Bluetooth? If you are doing these things, your decision is made, go with the LEDs. Otherwise, confirm that you are getting the best light possible from the original system and leave the LEDs to other uses.

I want to keep it as close to original as possible, but upgrade certain areas that help it maintain a certain semblance of civility. Sort of like Pantera owners adding aftermarket radiators and fans. 

You may have a point. Not sure if slightly better illuminated gauges would offend MOST potential buyers. I am not going for a 100% pure original restoration. I’ll have to think it through and listen to more opinions. 

Appreciate your input!

I too have a '71 with an original dash without cracks and I agree that keeping the original is the best approach. That said, I'm wondering what you have done to maintain your dash. My car has had very limited exposure to sunlight. I've used your standard products but have also slathered it with clear petroleum jelly (Vasoline) at one time. I think this year I may use 303 or stick with Vaseline!
What have you done?

I have used 303 for as long as I can remember. I also store in a garage and limit direct sun and hot interior. Winter storage is my home garage so no freezing temperatures.

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.
  • Like 1

I removed the dash from my 72 240z and had it professionally repaired several years ago. Once the dash cracks it is almost impossible to keep it from moving with temperature changes. I finally got tired of looking at the small depression on my dash and ordered a Vintage Dash. 

I am very pleased with the quality and  can't say enough about the support from the owners of the company. I watched a couple of You Tube videos on changing the dash and they mentioned changing the dash in a matter of hours. No so. If you are going to replace the dash I recommend removing the seats and steering wheel, place a pad on both side of the foot well. Removing the dash is straight forward but the wiring connections can be a challenge. I tried using blue tape with numbers on each side of the connection the first time but this time I bought a set of 5 colored half inch rolls of tape. I put a strip on each side of each connection before I disconnected them and then took lots of photos. It made reconnecting the wiring much easier.

It is not impossible for a novice to replace the dash but connecting the wiring can be challenging.

The results will be worth the effort

Bob M

I removed the dash from my 72 240z and had it professionally repaired several years ago. Once the dash cracks it is almost impossible to keep it from moving with temperature changes. I finally got tired of looking at the small depression on my dash and ordered a Vintage Dash. 
I am very pleased with the quality and  can't say enough about the support from the owners of the company. I watched a couple of You Tube videos on changing the dash and they mentioned changing the dash in a matter of hours. No so. If you are going to replace the dash I recommend removing the seats and steering wheel, place a pad on both side of the foot well. Removing the dash is straight forward but the wiring connections can be a challenge. I tried using blue tape with numbers on each side of the connection the first time but this time I bought a set of 5 colored half inch rolls of tape. I put a strip on each side of each connection before I disconnected them and then took lots of photos. It made reconnecting the wiring much easier.
It is not impossible for a novice to replace the dash but connecting the wiring can be challenging.
The results will be worth the effort

Bob M

Robert can you ball park the all in cost in $ and the number on hours spent. Could be helpful to others to get a sense from someone who has real life experience. Thx in advance

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

I have a mid '70 car. It's dash was in terrible shape.  I was able to find a NOS Nissan to replace it.  From what I was told, it was made in the mid '90s so it still looks and feels new.  That being said, If my dash wasn't cracked, there would be no way I would consider replacing it.

I would also like to know what everyone does to prevent theirs from cracking.  My '71 has cracks but they aren't as large as others I have seen. I have heard that products such as Armor All will dry vinyl.  So I have been using Vaseline on the '71.  I will store the cars in a heated/air conditioned building so there shouldn't be any drastic temperature changes.  I would think that would help but what do I know?

My 72 240z is in excellent condition with the exception of the dash. I stopped by Vintage Dash and met Ivan who was very helpful and he showed me a sample of the two versions of 240z dashes they offer. Ivan is very knowledgeable about Datsun cars and a great resource. I paid the $ 799 for the dash and picked it up. No freight but the box it came in is about five feet by one foot square and weighs about fifty pounds. Vintage Dash does not offer a glove compartment door as yet but I might consider buying one when and if they are available. I also ordered a new glove box for about $ 50 from ebay. The radio, gauges etc are in great shape so I did not have to spend time dealing with them.

Someone said they removed their dash is a couple of hours and replaced it in about four hours, it is probably true but not for me and probably not a first time person. I spent probably an extra hour marking each connection while taking the dash out so all in about four hours. Replacing the dash into the frame and remounting the wiring another hour. Then I spent three or four hours putting the dash in. The dash goes in very quickly but the electrical connections and reinstalling the heater controls etc. takes time if you want to do it right. 

Would I do it again?  Absolutely

Bob M

Finally installed a new part into the stripped out interior. New firewall insulator. 

I added a sheet of vinyl to the cardboard because it looked a little cheap. Looked great with the vinyl and fit pretty darn well with just a little trimming need. 

9C4437BE-5378-40C5-BFF5-7DE0C32DF7E0.jpeg

• Like 1