IGNORED

Shop says they can't perform an alignment

882993md

I took my car to a shop for an alignment. They called after a few hours and said all they could do was set toe in, but they couldn't do anything else. They said that it seems my steering rack is loose and there is side-to-side play. He said either its not bolted tight enough or the two bushings are old and deteriorated. 

They shop didn't charge me but told me to fix the issue and then bring back the car for the alignment and pay at that time. 

I noticed that there is a bolt to welded nut torque, then a lock nut torque. I put a socket on the lock nut and it seems tight. Additionally the bolt is not a high torque value (19 to 22 ft-lb) but I'm going to loosen everything and retorque all of them. The steering rack bushings are new poly bushings. 

If I may ask the experts here on what else I can check that would cause such a loose feeling in steering rack? Track rod-end? I've checked all the bolts in the steering column (flexible coupling, pinch bolt, steering shaft u-joint pinch bolt) down to the gearbox and they are fine.

This alignment was supposed to be the final step after 2.5 years of work to get this car road worthy and I thought I was done but now there is more work ?

Howard 

1974 260z

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

Edited by 882993md

Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like your driver's side rack bushing may not be the correct version. They made narrow (older) and wide (newer), and they change sometime in 74 with the 260Z.

Does that driver's side bushing fit tightly into the groove on the rack, or is there a gap on the side(s)?

21 minutes ago, 882993md said:

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

Hi Captain:

Both passenger and drivers side bushing have gaps on both sides-I can slide them. 

I’m assuming they should fit snug?

D6CD061C-8359-432A-BBE5-3A5626F30C0D.jpeg

Drivers side bushing

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtT8cDSGBCrZhip6qSS48Owlqjn0

Passenger side bushing

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtT8cDSGBCrZhinEXTl5PQazezWm

Howard

Edited by 882993md

Yeah, those bushings are too sloppy. That'll be the first biggest contributor to slop in the steering if the whole rack can wobble around in there and even slip side-to-side.

I haven't looked into it in depth, but my assumption would be they changed the rack at the same time as a bunch of other 260 stuff like going to the bigger bumpers. Part of what they call "early" or "late" 260.

Is yours an early or late 260?

Kudos to the shop for calling out a problem and not charging. Howard you should share the shops name and location.

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yeah, those bushings are too sloppy. That'll be the first biggest contributor to slop in the steering if the whole rack can wobble around in there and even slip side-to-side.

I haven't looked into it in depth, but my assumption would be they changed the rack at the same time as a bunch of other 260 stuff like going to the bigger bumpers. Part of what they call "early" or "late" 260.

Is yours an early or late 260?

Build date in the metal plate is 8/74. Is that considered late?

Howard