IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

16 minutes ago, gotham22 said:

Sorry got my numbers reversed. Ordered 18 gauge and got 20. I am using mig with gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

20 gauge is probably closer to the gauge of the exterior sheet panel panels , but you can get 18 to work also. 16 gauge is flooring thickness . There will be quite a big difference in heat and difficulty in welding. Welding a bead will be tough with 20 . It will be slow hand and lower heat . Above recommendations of many spots and connecting the dots after words . Bounce around when doing a panel to disapate heat. Short beads after welding slots is good, but let things cool a bit before laying a bunch of beads . Practice !

My very 1st welding exp with was with a HF welder (140amp iirc) with flux wire, trying to weld up a round pipe (cat back pipe needed extension) what a nightmare, I must have spent 6 hrs of welding and grinding. I now have a  flow meter and plan to run gas to do some more practice.

Or maybe frying a robot bee!  LOL 

Point is... It shouldn't start and stop as the wire burns back so far that it breaks the arc until it contacts again and starts. It should be a nice steady sizzle. Like frying that bee.

This is making me both hungry and wanting to weld something. Is that wrong?  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello all, I hibernated for the winter!  Now that it is warm I am ready to work on the car again. The goal is to get it back on the road this year.  I changed course a bit and found someone who can weld the frame rail for me.  I feel like it is a bit too much for me to take on.  Before I send this to the shop I need to get your opinion regarding the radiator support.  Does anyone know where I can find one?  I feel like mine is too far gone.  IMG_0003.JPG