IGNORED

horn button refurbish

Dave WM

I cut about 1/4" wide strip of some very thin copper sheet, used about 3/4" piece to form a collar then looped it around and adjusted to make the correct diameter hoop. reverse bend after inserting thru the collar, and soldered it up. I did have to dig out a very small section of the foam maybe 1/16" about 3/8 long to allow the collar to fit nicely.

100_1223.JPG

100_1224.JPG

100_1225.JPG

100_1226.JPG

• Like 1

update, installing the horn pad resulted in breaking the insulator. up side is you can still buy them so at least I will have a new one for it. I don't know if the reinforcement is causing it to be too tight, perhaps the zip tie is the way to go after all. The design of the insulator seems to rely on 3 wires around the perimeter that I presume snap into place on a thin track inside the hub. Perhaps too much downward force is required to displace the wire, resulting it the break.

Bummer!  Sorry that didn't work for you, I see some skill in that copper work (I watch Moonshiner's a good bit).

Image result for moonshiners

That's what I've always thought, those three wires that seat into the insulator seemed to work best when I pushed the horn pad on either to the left or right of those slots then turned the assembly until I could feel them click into place.

$20 from 240rubber isn't bad at all, that's what I'll do.  You should hurry he only has 2 now.  I'll get one of his next batch?

already popped for a brand new button, hope the OE plastic is still good. Prob no as good as those he is selling though. I just wanted to see how well I could refurb this horn button. I did not realize there was a procedure for the install (twist into place). Hopefully the new insulator from MSA is a bit more durable.

the plastic part the horn button snaps on to. Got a new one one the way :)

The button stays on ok now but I am sure its comprimised. I Dat boi out for a drive and over some speed bumps, it did fine, but it will bother me to no end knowing there is a problem.

already popped for a brand new button, hope the OE plastic is still good. Prob no as good as those he is selling though. I just wanted to see how well I could refurb this horn button. I did not realize there was a procedure for the install (twist into place). Hopefully the new insulator from MSA is a bit more durable.

Mine also had cracks causing it to fall off easily. To avoid cutting away the foam, I used standard safety wire that is used for securing nuts/bolts on race cars etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile
  • Like 1

got the new horn button in today, did not realize there was an "aftermarket" vs OE, looks very nice, but no foam more like a hard plastic interior, NO WAY the inner ring part will break on this. So if you are ok with it not being exactly OE I suspect it will not suffer from the same defect the OE has about cracking. I got this off ebay, later found on MSA and noticed there is a huge diff in the price of the OE and after market, like twice as much. I was a little worried that the new one I was getting may suffer the same fate esp if its NOS, but that is not the case with the aftermarket copy.

• Like 2

got a HF sand blaster and some 70 grit alum oxide to work on the steering wheel spokes. You can see the new insulter as well, with it and the after market horn button you can hit the biggest pot holes and not worry about the button popping off, it hold on REAL tight.

100_1228.JPG