IGNORED

horn button refurbish

Dave WM

BIC platinum silver.

on the cracked part, JSM advised using a zip tie, I have been looking at alternative that do not require digging out any of the foam to make room. One is CV joint boot strap, the kind that has you slip the band in a flat collar and then bend it back 180 degree to lock in. VERY low profile, I think it would fit perfect with no damage to the foam at all. I may try fabricating something. I was going  to use some thin sheet brass or copper for the strap, then a piece of brass or copper tubing, flattened, for the sleeve I have stuff like this laying around from my RC hobby supplies.

I think adding the reinforcement strap is prob a good idea even if there is no cracked parts, just as a strain relief. I have a new horn button coming that I will compare too and add the strain relief as insurance against future cracking.

Edited by Dave WM

1 hour ago, Dave WM said:

BIC platinum silver.

on the cracked part, JSM advised using a zip tie, I have been looking at alternative that do not require digging out any of the foam to make room. One is CV joint boot strap, the kind that has you slip the band in a flat collar and then bend it back 180 degree to lock in. VERY low profile, I think it would fit perfect with no damage to the foam at all. I may try fabricating something. I was going  to use some thin sheet brass or copper for the strap, then a piece of brass or copper tubing, flattened, for the sleeve I have stuff like this laying around from my RC hobby supplies.

I think adding the reinforcement strap is prob a good idea even if there is no cracked parts, just as a strain relief. I have a new horn button coming that I will compare too and add the strain relief as insurance against future cracking.

Cv boot band is a great idea.  My local motorcycle shop sales them for 4-wheelers.  I have them on my steering rack accordian boots covering the tie rods.

Thank You! 

One thing I noticed the other day Dave, when I went to put the horn button back on after I showed you, it didn't click on like it did when I first put it on with a new Zip tie.  I think the zip tie has stretched a little.  

Just now, JSM said:

One thing I noticed the other day Dave, when I went to put the horn button back on after I showed you, it didn't click on like it did when I first put it on with a new Zip tie.  I think the zip tie has stretched a little.  

could be, maybe the metal strap would be less prone to stretching, will report back. Of course the zip tie would be fine if the button is not removed, could be a one shot kind of deal, then use a new one if need be. I will report back on my efforts with a metal strap, hope siteunseen can find out about the CV boot clamp. I suppose there is a sweet spot, too tight and you risk damage to the plastic horn button mount assy when installing, too little and it pops off.

I put a Zip-Tie around mine after filling the crack with Gorilla glue then cut the Zip off.  That lasted only a few months, the Gorilla glue.

It's like someone pulled it straight off in the past and caused the crack?  I put mine back on just to the side of the three clip areas then twisted until it clicked into the slots.  Maybe that is the wrong way?  More reading...