IGNORED

5 speed swap

CRS

10 minutes ago, CRS said:

Side seal? 

Which one are you referring to? 

directly to the side of the round rear main is a parting line for the rear bearing cap. there is a rubber seal that can leak making the same problem as the rear main. You will see oil seeping out of it from the rear view of the crank case with the flywheel out of the way. In my case it was leaking more than the rear main.

leak.PNG

Edited by Dave WM

I didn't see any leaks from the back of the block. I only changed the rear main since I was there.

I did have to replace the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket last month or so.

Edited by CRS

Happy to say I now have 5 forward gears!!!

Shifts well, no noise, whine or any vibration from the car.

Noticed it accelerates a bit better due to the different ratios between the 4 and 5 speed.

Also got up to 70-72mph @ ~2600rpm in 5th.  To have the same speed out of the old trans I'd be at 3100-3200rpm.

Another plus is that the leaking trans, diff, slave cylinder and hose are now gone. Looked like I was drill crude oil under the car.

Thanks everyone for your help, feedback and tips throughout the process!

• Like 3