IGNORED

SUs and pumps

@Richard McDonel

Glad to help and find that the issue is resolved for you Richard!

Those Kyosan Denki mechanical pumps are very rugged and reliable---it just made no sense that one would go bad after sitting in a box and then only being run for 20 minutes or so.

5 hours ago, Richard McDonel said:

Zup Frosquisher (Come on, that's not your real name?  Is it?)

No--there's a story behind this------

Carl Stahlnecker  (Bambikiller) was a respected member of this forum many years ago before his shockingly sudden death.

I still dearly miss Carl.

His numerous posts were among the most informative I have ever read. Carl really knew his stuff about Z cars and was always very helpful, but often opinionated and direct.

His screen name--- Bambikiller--- came after an incident between his 240z and a deer.

I ran over a frog one rainy night in my 240z and lamented the poor amphibian's demise.

In homage to Carl I suppose, I chose "Frogsquisher" as an adjunct to my screen name Zup.

• Like 1

Going through the various on-line FSM pdf files for the various years this morning, and sure enough, at least the 71 and 72 manuals list the "camshaft gear bolt" torque as 36-43 ft-lbs. The 73 manual if finally correct at 86-116 ft/lb  

Holy "engine destroyer" batman....

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, zKars said:

The 73 manual if finally correct at 86-116 ft/lb  

Confirmed by an alternate source:

Page 24 in How to Rebuild Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine by Tom Monroe states --

Torque the cam-sprocket bolt 86-116 ft-lb (12-16 kg-m).

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 9:57 AM, Captain Obvious said:

Zactly.

Ed Zachery.

A woman was very distraught at the fact that she had not had a date, nor any sex, in quite some time. She was afraid she might have something wrong with her, so she decided to employ the medical expertise of a sex therapist.

Her MD recommended that she go see Dr. Chang, the well-known sex therapist. Upon entering the examination room, Dr. Chang said, "OK, take off all your crose." So she did.

"Now, get down on all fours and crawl reery fass to the other side of loom." So, she did.

Dr. Chang then said, "OK now crawl reery fass to me," so she did.

Dr. Chang slowly shook his head and said "Your probrem vewy bad. You haf Ed Zachary Disease... worse case I ever see...that why you not haf sex or dates."

Confused, the woman asked, "What is Ed Zachary Disease?"

Dr. Chang replied, "It when your face rook Ed Zachary rike your arse."

• Like 1

On 27/3/2018 at 9:49 AM, Captain Obvious said:

And that should STILL only be used as a preliminary set-up method.

A direct verification of the level is the only way to be sure, and is the gold standard for accuracy.

I tried for .55 inch and it was still lean. The gap should be at less than that.