IGNORED

240Z D hubcaps ... reproduction?

JSM

18 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Are they claimed to be original or reproductions?

Perhaps ask for a higher resolution photo of this area and we can tell.  The photos above are too small to see details.

It was like pulling teeth to get the seller to send me these last 3 pictures that are just a little more closer up. I don't see the "IKI Made In Japan" stamped anywhere that Terrapin Z mentioned. The seller also told me that the set of 4 are original. What do you think of these last 3 pictures?  

IMG_6303.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

• Like 1

The edge fingers at the hole are not like any of the original pictures I have but they do closely match the early poor-quality fakes from 2 years ago but they better match Terrapin originals.

I think they are real or a very good reproduction.

The  IKI stamp and  Made in Japan require further exploration.  I'll check mine in the garage and get back.

Circa 1970 version 1

image.png

Circa 1970 version 2

image.png

image.png

2018 fake

image.png

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 2

240260280, Kats and Terrapin Z, 

Thank you taking the time to post the pictures. After looking over all of the pictures, the D hubcaps that I'm considering look like an updated set of reproduction hubcaps to me. I am looking for an authentic set and this seller hasn't been very forthcoming when I asked him questions. He also has been difficult to work with when I ask him for additional pictures. My gut tells me to back off.  

• Like 1

My BS detector goes off loud when I see those too although I don't have any specific tell to point to that is a clear indication they are repros.

I do worry that it seems the people who are making these are simply getting better at fixing their mistakes and making the repros harder to distinguish from the original versions. I suspect the chatter here pointing out the differences is allowing them to monitor this thread (and maybe others like it) and use the info within to improve the parts.

Double edge sword... Better repros that are virtually indistinguishable from the originals are a good thing. But if they are sold claiming to be NOS parts made by the original manufacturer, it's a lie and should not be allowed.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I spotted these on the Los Angeles, CA Craigslist. The pictures of the wheel covers/hubcaps look really fake, but it sounds like the seller is only trying to sell the plastic "D" center pieces. Very similar to the plastic D center caps sold on eBay by jdm-car-parts. Not sure why the seller would show pictures of the fake wheel covers with the reproduction center plastic caps, unless he doesn't have any real ones, haha!   

Here's the link: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/d/montclair-d-hubcap-caps/7319703744.html

00R0R_2s4ULrOkKEXz_0vi0t2_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_gJemnm1Ds0Sz_0ox0t2_600x450.jpg

00d0d_8ZdmxWEqsnzz_0CI0iP_600x450.jpg

00707_4AtgowxRNmGz_0iP0CI_600x450.jpg

• 5 months later...

With the ebay price of 1 original hubcap going for $600, I'm out.

I wouldn't mind having a set of reproductions.  The ones posted earlier in this thread look good enough for me.  There's got to be someone else who could reproduce these things in bulk for resale.  Where's china when you really need them?