IGNORED

Taillight panel paint

studegard

23 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

The topic question has to do with correct color, not how cheap you can be with something close.  Can we please stick to the topic?

Sure. The OP asked "Does anyone have a source for the correct color paint?"

And to that question, several people have offered up suggestions of sources they think are the correct color. Some of them cheap and easy to find, and some of them expensive and much more difficult to obtain. But cost and availability aside, I believe all the responses to date have stuck to the topic. Every single one of them.

Even the response where someone suggested that the question should not have even been asked in the first place and admonished the OP for even asking for help:

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, 26th-Z said:

Search the archives.  This topic has been beaten to death! 

• Like 2

studegard, I've alluded to a paint option that I believe is a great match to the original color (better than the other previously discussed easily available solutions), but I have to this point been clearly a little elusive, and for that I apologize.

The reason for that elusiveness is I started messing around with this last fall and I ran out of warm painting weather before I had finalized my testing. I have spray samples that look great, but I didn't want to loose my findings on the Z community until I was closer to 100% confident in the results.

My plan is to paint one of my taillight panels and then re-install it in the car along with the original panel which still retains the original factory finish. If after that test, it looks as good as I had hoped in several different lighting conditions, I'll pull the pin on the rest of the info I have.

Unfortunately that won't be until sometime in the spring after it gets warmer. If you want to give it a try yourself, send me a PM and I'd be happy to fill you in on what I've tried. Maybe you can give it a shot too and provide a review using a second set of eyes.  :)

• Like 1

I think everyone is overthinking the correct hubcap, grill, and tail light surround color and how to match it.
I purchases a rattle can of paint from Les at Classic Datsun Motorsports and it is almost a perfect match
of color, texture, and low gloss as compared to the original.  
I have a set of NOS D-caps, and a NOS grill which are the exact same color.  When compared to a set of 
D-caps I restored with new chrome and paint from Les, judges could apparently not tell any difference.
If you really want to get into the weeds, the edge where paint and chrome meet on NOS D-caps is what I call
a soft edge with no tape line.  Good paint suppliers have a rope like product used to mask this edge and
create this soft paint edge.
attached is a picture of a NOS D-cap on the left beside my restored D-cap on the right.
Just my thoughts!

Dan

A1281AFB-8775-44CE-AD20-4E9F5F7EECB6.thumb.jpeg.7d4b5e5198277a86a171b25b30980c3e.jpeg
Dan,

I've heard that Les at Classic Datsun is no longer able to ship cans of spray paint due to regulations in California. Do you have any knowledge of this? I agree this would be the easiest solution to match paint, but if it's no longer available my plans will have to change. :(

Thanks,

Robert S.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

Last time I looked at the original color, the impression I got was a dark satin grey, (or is it gray) but with a tint of dark bronze.

That's what I was after looking for a can of spray. I did find one close like others here did.

I can't find the can but maybe I kept the cover. I am still looking.

• 1 year later...

Yes, one of the Z car questions for the ages!! First, There isn't just ONE color. What the hell? After almost 50 years of Z cars I've discovered that there is often some variation in the 240 rear panel, hub cap and grille color,  yes, and tag light assy,  between cars. Light charcoal right up to a fairly dark charcoal. Datsun wasn't at all strict about keeping the color exactly the same throughout the entire 69-73 range of 240s. Why should they? There was a long line of customers with cash burning a hole in their pockets and, more importantly, cars just weren't manufactured to the kind of standards that apply today. I'll give you another example of what I'm talking about. I've seen a lot of 240 air filter housings through the years and I've seen more than a few - from the factory -  that didn't have the full compliment of decals. On Tue they ran out of the air filter element replacement schedule decals, what to do!!!  Ship em what we got, more decals coming in Thur.  No big deal. Back to that hub cap, tail panel and grille color (and TEXTURE) and an example. I have 5 virgin, unused, original wrapping, etc, etc D hubcaps and they are 3 different colors! My point, just don't sweat it too much. As long as the color of your grille, hub caps and tail panels matches and isn't too far from the color of your tag light assy you're good. Now on to the TEXTURE issue. Yes, it should be a bit scratchy/sand papery. How to get that feel. A skilled painter using the right air pressure and distance between gun and object will achieve the right feel. 

Slightly different story for 74-78. Some other time.

Now if I can just find that thread about tie down hooks/brackets. I've done some research in the ancient Datsun files and found some interesting info on the subject.

• Like 1

We had a 1975 280Z "Museum Car" in the shop for a few weeks a few years ago (4500 original miles, then kept in an auto museum in PA - shipped from the museum to our shop...).  The color was actually much lighter than I thought the original color would be (it shows a tad darker in these pics than IRL- the top of the license plate light actually shows the color best - that's not merely "light flare").  Here are some crappy pics I took of it:

WP_20130814_006.jpg

WP_20130814_007.jpg

WP_20130814_008.jpg

Edited by cgsheen1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...