zed2

[2018] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

I will be using some kind of heat resistant material on the underside of the shield.

removed heat shield I had transferred over from the OE muffler. I was no able to fit the new one inside all the rest of the shield but for some reason left one bit on. It  would vibrate and make odd sounds. Thought I had something loose back there, but that was it. I kept all the OE stuff including the bad muffler just in case I can find one that is thin enough to go inside the OE shield. pipe is good, just had some holes along the bottom of the original.

Edited by Dave WM

Some progress today. Need to bend the sides up and do some polishing etc.

238CCC4E-02C0-4992-8A18-B7311F117FE4.jpeg

Edited by moelk
  • Like 2

Well, total cost was $0 so I’d say it came out looking ok. Just need to give it a good polish and get some heat resistant material for the underside.

AED87870-AF42-41C1-A609-3A7C6FDE27A9.jpeg5CF9792A-C2E2-472A-980F-D344E70E45C9.jpegDEC54354-ACAC-441C-957C-84D7CBF5E309.jpeg

• Like 1

Installed crank for first time. 

Took a while taking all of the measurements of the journals and bearings but all was in spec and. Even the crank float was in the middle of the range.

The hardest part was just the rear main side seals.  Guy that anaerobic sealant is fluorescent pink!

Crank turns silky smooth by hand.

I have to pick up rod bolts from MSA when in Oregon to finish the job. Pistons are waiting.

• Like 1

Blue....The rear side seals are easy if you 1) Apply sealant sparingly as shown in the factory service manual. 2) Align the rear bearing cap (with sealant applied, but no side seals yet). 3) pull down the rear bearing cap until you are 3/4” from bottoming 4) install each side seal and push all the way down till it bottoms out against the block. 5) pull down the rear bearing cap with the two bolts until it bottoms out. 6) Torque all bottoms end caps sequentially (starting in the middle and working out) until torque specs are met. This will pull down the side seals securely without creating a blockage by pushing the side seals against the sealant. Finally, put a small dab of sealant on the top of the side seals before installing the pan.

Guy

• Like 2

Excellent tips!  Thanks.  This is the one that I missed that would have helped:

3) pull down the rear bearing cap until you are 3/4” from bottoming

I had read to never pull the caps down in the Monroe of Honsowetz but I think it is needed for the last cap.  I'll do it on my next rebuild for sure!

Installed a new stereo (Sadly i dont have a original stereo for my car).

Took it apart and grinded the chrome away.

663191B1-2C33-40BD-85AD-4A1972976A38.jpeg651D9EFC-E76D-4B17-8371-D28E019F0299.jpeg897056F6-C591-4ACB-89D0-5C7C0346BDB8.jpeg

Will see how long it last But it looks ok for $25, and my daughters can play their music through bluetooth.

Edited by moelk

Installed a new rebuilt front Caliper from O'Riley's.  It was only $30.  Now it doesn't pull right when I hit the brakes! ;) The bonus was I got to bench bleed the Master Cylinder and flushed out the brake lines adding even more time to the job.  Messy! 

25 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

Looks subtle and nice!   Love that clock too .....

Yes the clock is a very nice piece ...but sadly it wasn’t as cheap as the stereo😉

Painted the rear spoiler in the same(ish) color as the tail light panel.7D34D443-0FBF-4505-92F3-63F42E26144B.jpegEA4F327E-3CDA-4E53-8536-8EEEE869CEDB.jpegB76D20FE-265A-4B47-A07B-1CB056253346.jpeg

I think it looks good.

On 3/10/2018 at 8:09 AM, Diseazd said:

Removed the tint from my 73.......

It looks so much better with the tint removed. Beautiful. To my eyes, a classic car like a Z with substantially tinted windows is like the same car with super modern wheels and rubber band tires. It just doesn't look right. You made a great improvement there. Gorgeous Z.

Getting ready to dive into our first real brake job. Replacing rotors and pads. We have the rotors, pads, seals and grease sitting ready to go. Bearings are in stock at AutoZone up the street if we find we need them.

The only part I'm anxious about is getting the inner bearings out when we get to that point. Any last-minute advice?

Getting ready to dive into our first real brake job. Replacing rotors and pads. We have the rotors, pads, seals and grease sitting ready to go. Bearings are in stock at AutoZone up the street if we find we need them.
The only part I'm anxious about is getting the inner bearings out when we get to that point. Any last-minute advice?

Those inners punch out pretty easy. I bought a harbor fright 12 ton press. Make the fronts and back a snap

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Going for Cars and Coffee tomorrow at Zup's house.   Based on tomorrows weather forecast in Bentonville,  18 is the high,  it will be Cars and Ice Coffee.  default_laugh.png

Are you in Northwest Arkansas? I'm in Fayettenam and there aren't too many Bentonvilles. Just wondering?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

1 minute ago, jeffC said:

Are you in Northwest Arkansas? I'm in Fayettenam and there aren't too many Bentonvilles. Just wondering?

Indeed he is.

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Got some rays. LOL

1524336935177.jpg

Birds with IBS like the #918, easy target I guess. 

Spring cleaning my garage turned into a bird poop cleaning for the Z. LOL

On the better side someone stopped and asked about the car and that convo turned into a potential renter for the house. Good day for me and the Z. Rent the house to a Z fan, touchdown Alabama! 

1 hour ago, jeffC said:

Well cool, good to know a Z brother is that close.

2 very good Z brothers are close to you!