IGNORED

Rear disk brake conversion

If any kit requires you to give up your parking brake and you have a manual trans- you might think twice. I miss my parking brake and it adds to the cost in most disc upgrades . Bigger front discs and rear drums in excellent condition should be adequate for all but racing

• Like 1

I used the upgrade kit from Arizona Z.  Very good quality and they were easy to work with.  Very pleased with the performance as compared to the stock brakes.  Probably not the cheapest solution but it was brand new and in the limit performed extremely well. 

You will need to consider the following:

1. If you are running the standard 14 inch rims, they will not fit over the big brake kit.  I have been told that 15" will work, but in my case I went with a 16" Konig rewind.  You will also need to consider what you will want to do for a spare tire.  I ended up getting a donut spare I believe from a later model Nissan Sentra that had the correct bolt spacing and also fit into the spare tire well.  It easily fits over the bigger brakes. 

2. At least with the Arizona Z kit, you will need to decide what to do for a emergency / parking brake.  The Arizona kit as standard, does not include a replacement for the e-brake.  They do sell a mechanical caliper which can be used to replace the OEM e-brake, but they only provide the caliper itself as well as a different mounting bracket.  I had to design a method  for connecting the e-brake to the brake handle and this was not straight forward.  I have been meaning to do a write up on my implementation of this for some time but just haven't gotten around to it yet.  If you decide to go in this direction, let me know and I'll get the write up done.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The AZC rear brake kit is very nice and will work well with a 15/16th master cylinder, but the additional rear park brake system is currently not available and after over a year of inquiring, I am beginning to give up hope that they will be making them again....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Someday I'd like to get this one from zcardepot.com

https://zcardepot.com/disc-brake-conversion-rear-disk-240z-260z-280z-1331.html

i have this one. it works well. downside, no instructions at all, and, you dont know what parts they are when you need replacements.100_1672.JPG

and, 14" wheels do fit, but there is very little extra room. IIRC i had to remove the wheel weights. i also have the toyota front calipers, but not these wheels now

101_2259.JPG

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, duffymahoney said:

I hate drums:) But I am sure they are fine for 99.9% of people.  

Why do you hate them?

I too have been mulling over this subject for my 280z since I am replacing everything in the suspension.

The previous owner threw in the Toyota front discs and I can still lock up all 4 tires if I hammer on the brake pedal. So I don't see how adding bigger brakes + discs would benefit me unless I am at the track since right now I seem to get enough braking power.

Edited by AlbatrossCafe