Slane Jode

How much would you pay for this?

An OK Datsun can be reliable . Any car can be stuck on the side of the road.  If you're thinking about those Datsuns you're not doing to be happy with the reliable Honda unless it's a modified '89 crx-si or vtec.  

The first car looks OK except the horrible rust above the windshield. If it was a Chevy you could buy a piece to weld in.

The second one looks kind of stolen, by the looks of that number plate.

spelling checker tags "Datsun".

Let's ask Wheee (Mark) on that one................default_laugh.png

Maybe after ‘79! Definitely not a ‘76....

I like new Zs, new Zs seem to really like my Z, they’re always waving! :D

if you want something nice for a daily, consider the e30 platform, their pretty comfy and a fun to drive.

If you want a real head turner consider a mk1 bug eye sprite. IMG_4530.JPG

7 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

If you want a real head turner consider a mk1 bug eye sprite.

Just remember you can't be too big if you're gonna get in that Bug eye Sprite!!!! ROFL

On 12/1/2017 at 8:44 PM, sweatybetty said:

id say about 2 percent

I agree SWEATS.........chuckling:D

On 12/2/2017 at 11:22 AM, Slane Jode said:

But I've never had a car I really wanted and I'm not getting any younger and don't wanna have to wait until I'm forty. sorry if that's a little personal but any feed back from an older gent who's been there done that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

great thing about being older is

kids are grown and out with jobs

more $$

more time

more stability.

ive seen it before dozens of time. younger guys just have to have this cool XXXX. a year later its up for sale (in pieces) because of XXXX  (moving, divorce, new baby, no time, etc......) if you can buy it and have a place to store it for YEARS, then buy it, and take your time doing what you want to it.

my 2 cents

Hear hear! I agree. A daily driver that doesn’t require significant time or repair is one thing, but don’t get a project until your life is in a place that will accommodate it financially with time to do it properly. Buy it, drive it or store it. Eventually you will be in the right place to restore one.

if i could get that first one down to 1000.00 I might just do that, I got a garage to store her at least try to get it up and running have  a little fun with her, keep my daily till I can buy another reliable Honda,  then complete restoration over the course of  several years in my spare time would be awesome.  Thanks sweatybetty that's the advice I was looking for,  I've woken up from my lustful dog in heat delusion. 

I think I see some poor, lumpy bodywork in the right quarter panel. The raised body line that runs the length of the car disappears at the wheel well and appears again towards the rear. The left q. panel appears to be more original. The hatch seems to fit well. Same for the right door. The left door fitment is off. The uncracked dash is rare. Probably means that it was covered well over the years. Looks to be a good buy, IMO. I'd take it back to the orig. color.

If I were to find after looking in person at the first one ( chicago 260) that  the fender well, firewall and the frame weren't severely compromised by rust, would it be worth 1000.00 as a project car?  The hood and doors don't look like they rest right.  I think I heard that was hard to fix or restore, or to stay away from a car like that?  But again I'm pretty green to all this.

The spaces around the doors and hood, all body panels should be equal distance. If they're off a little that could wear but if it's a lot they've probably been off and reinstalled poorly.

Oops didn't read Mark's post, I'm saying the same thing he did.

"Dog in heat delusion" that's funny, never heard that one but I know what you're saying.  You're chasing anything. LOL

Edited by siteunseen

On 12/3/2017 at 3:52 AM, heyitsrama said:

if you want something nice for a daily, consider the e30 platform, their pretty comfy and a fun to drive.

Why do these cars always look like they are laughing at you?

9 minutes ago, esmit208 said:

Why do these cars always look like they are laughing at you?

They are. Because they know they'll need parts and you have to go find them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

"Dog in heat delusion" that's funny, never heard that one but I know what you're saying.  You're chasing anything. LOL

i dont think that ever goes away entirely. you just finally learn whats worth chasing :(

• Like 1

They are. Because they know they'll need parts and you have to go find them.

For the sprite and for the mk1 Mini Cooper that we work on the parts are so easy and extremely cheap to find, mini mania has everything and anything you need for these guys.

It’s a walk in the park to fix stuff, we do need to get a better tune on the Weber that we have for it, the SU are nice, but it’s not punchy.
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:52 AM, heyitsrama said:

This one looks like it has had the Lucas electric kit installed ;-)

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

• Like 2

Personally I couldn't daily drive a 240.  I would feel sorry for it. The sheet metal inside the fender and all other nooks and crannies attract dirt. Dampness alone isn't good on them. 

As was already mentioned if you get caught in road salt, you can see rust form along the edges of painted surfaces in a few days( speaking from first hand experience).  If you continue to drive it in road salt, it will be totaled in a few seasons. 

Mine are fair weather cars primarily used for ice cream runs. They don't see rain and the garage is heated in the winter.