IGNORED

How much would you pay for this?

Slane Jode

Just curious since I'm from chicago and this was the first one i saw. I'm straight newbie to these vintage Z cars, but am smitten indeed.  I wanna make one of these my daily.  I've just become slightly  infatuated with car repair and have done a few successful jobs and want to continue to learn and repair, so I would like to have that relationship with one of these cars.  I'm looking to find a fairly restored one with no or little rust for under 10,000.  You think that's possible?  Can one drive one of these as his daily reliably for many years so long as he maintains ?  I have so many questions. Whats the best way to go about finding one?  

In the overhead pic of the engine, note the discoloration around the battery compared to the opposite side by the brake master cylinder. Discoloration doesn't look too bad until you pull the battery and find the fender well, firewall and the frame are all severely compromised by rust. If they are still there, that is. Z's have some areas that are prone to rust. When looking for a Z, find the best "rust free" chassis that you can afford. Period. Mechanical bits on the Z's are well built and easy to repair. Can't say the same for the bodies. 

• Thanks 1

That car is better but rear wheel arch is rusted out. Rear deck lid has rust on the rear edge and bumpers look like they are rusted through. Considering it was originally green, I would assume there is more rust under the gold respray. If you want to look for a clean car, search in Phoenix, Southern California or some where else in the South West. The cost of shipping is well worth it. As for daily driver, they are more than capable of that but in states that salt roads it's a bad idea to run these cars when there is salt on the roads.

• Thanks 1

The Milwaukee car was up on BaT not too long ago, it didn't reach the reserve but have a look, much better photos than the Craigs ad. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-240z-36/

I don't mind a bit of rust if the price is right.

9 hours ago, Slane Jode said:

I've just become slightly  infatuated with car repair and have done a few successful jobs and want to continue to learn and repair, so I would like to have that relationship with one of these cars. 

If you are serious about this^  then the first car will teach you everything you need to know about these cars, it will have to be stripped down to the shell and mounted on a rotisserie and then every section will have to be gone through and repaired.         It is a big job but can be fun and is very rewarding when you get it back on the road, besides someone has to fix these rusty cars or they will just be parted out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Patcon said:

That car is better but rear wheel arch is rusted out. Rear deck lid has rust on the rear edge and bumpers look like they are rusted through. Considering it was originally green, I would assume there is more rust under the gold respray. If you want to look for a clean car, search in Phoenix, Southern California or some where else in the South West. The cost of shipping is well worth it. As for daily driver, they are more than capable of that but in states that salt roads it's a bad idea to run these cars when there is salt on the roads.

Yeah I would agree on the wheel arches.  The bat had better pics and that crack by the antenna is likely all bondo. 

Hard part about cars from out west is they go fast or people know the prices now and are asking $$$.

• Thanks 1