IGNORED

Series I cars

Patcon

20 minutes ago, wheee! said:

I have a series 2, 280z (early 76) LOL

Oh you're really asking for it! 

Listen, this only got started because humans like to have names for things, and we are intrinsically lazy. The big exterior obvious differences with cars that do or do not have the hatch vents, pillar vents, vertical def. glass, original console, and the big perceved value, rarity and coolness jump between "early" and "late" 240's that have these big obvious differences,  required our stupid human minds to create a simple way of expressing ourselves when we wanted to say "the cars with the hatch vents, vertical lines, original console" but since we're lazy decided on "Series 1". I'm surprised no one has claimed to be the first to use the term. Tweren't me. 

Then things got crazy when there were so many other changes, some small, some big, that happened as the cars evolved and individual country laws evolved that required the cars to evolve in unique ways across the globe, as well as Nissan deciding to add value with more features and power. As we've discussed there are likely 7000 small and large incremental changes most of which do NOT constitute any reason to give something a new name.

I'm happy if I only ever hear these terms to give us clear and simple names that we can use for discussion.  S1 240, S2 240, 260, and 280. Hell, just use the year.  I have a 70.  I have a 71.  then if anyone cares, tell them if you have vert def glass or a late console. It is impractical to arbitrarily decide what specific changes constitute adding a another number to the series series. 

Frankly the more I think about it, its really all about making everyone think your car is better than theirs just cause it has all that early stuff or is special.  That's why I'm busy sharing all the cool unique stuff about 3798 and 2744 cause they're Canadian and have unique stuff AND they're early, AND I found two of them! Na Na Na booboo.  I don't spend hardly any time telling you about all the stuff on my 73. (Unless I'm trying to sell it, then look out!) Damn it, humans are crazy beings. 

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

I wonder if the original owners of both your cars simply bought aftermarket A/R bars from the same mail order operation.  You've reminded me of the two big sportscar accessory shops in Toronto back in the 1970's.  One was called Piranha Motorsports .  The other was R&R, or something like that.  Both benefited from large sums of hard-earned money I pushed across their counters.

18 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

IMO, since Series One and Two seems to be virtually useless when trying to pin down what parts the car was built with, I humbly suggest that the year and early or late as a designation would be better. It works for most of the years and better describes the build.

I realize that the parts changed incrementally over time and sometimes not in a linear fashion, but I do find it helpful to have some kind of expectation of what should be on a given car based on when it was made. I also think the discussion of the details of individual car would get trying. I take all of that with a grain of salt but it gives some kind of idea of what kind of parts would have to be sourced and how costly that process will be. That may change the way I approach the project. I also appreciate the series terminology even though it irritates others for the simple fact that it makes communication more efficient. As I get older, I value my time more and don't want to waste it to say "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". "Laser" will work just find and it saves me time which is a finite resource. Thanks for the input to date. I need to get some pictures up...

I don't really get the confusion with the series one designation. It's a made up term to identify cars with certain features, built in a certain time frame. IMO the set in stone features of the series one cars are the hatch vents, '240z' badges on the C pillar, and lack of integrated storage/tool bins, and maybe a few other features like the solid spoke steering wheel. There were many changes within the range that series one cars were built, I don't think that negates the function or usefulness of the term.

Edited by rturbo 930

2 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

IMO the set in stone features of the series one cars are the hatch vents, '240z' badges on the C pillar, and lack of integrated storage/tool bins, and maybe a few other features like the solid spoke steering wheel.

I'd agree with this. It is kind of fun to note all the small changes that were phased in though.

Porsche did the same thing on their 930 series I cars from 75 through 77. Within that series they changed from 15 to 16 inch wheels and went to power assisted brakes in the last year of the series I cars. Series II in 78 added the intercooler, went to a 3.2 liter motor and changed the whale tail to house the intercooler. This was in a much smaller group, I think there were just under 2,900 cars in the 3 years of the first series 930's.