IGNORED

spare hold down question

siteunseen

Nice Chuck!

Would you be willing to send them as the "pattern"?

Do you care to contact Steve Nixon with a request?

I'm in for a set, if we need to start determining if there is enough interest to make it worth his efforts.

Nice Chuck!
Would you be willing to send them as the "pattern"?
Do you care to contact Steve Nixon with a request?
I'm in for a set, if we need to start determining if there is enough interest to make it worth his efforts.

I'll message Steve. We've worked together before. I sent him the AM radio faceplates to reproduce.

Chuck

Sent from my Moto G Play using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Great photos Mike, and I think they bring up an interesting question regarding the orientation of the hold-down. Which way is 'UP'?

Many, many times I see the hold-down facing DOWN. That is, with the pressed-out shape of the hold-down facing down and IN the spare wheel rather than facing UP and sticking out of the spare wheel. The T-handle can be used either way, but the (correct?) orientation of the octopus dot-grip side of the rubber would seem to suggest that it is intended to grip the spare wheel. If the dot-grip is facing fresh air then what function is it performing? 

Nissan themselves seem to have been confused by this. I see both orientations in various factory documentation. For example:

HsQjGY.jpg

...which I think is the correct orientation. The temptation is to fit the pressed-out shape of the hold-down into the centre of the spare wheel, and it seems to make sense, but I think it was not actually designed to work that way.

I believe they dropped the rubber cover for the T-handle quite soon into production.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cbuczesk said:

If the hold down is installed high side up then does the T handle sit high enough to provide some support under the Masonite spare tire cover?

A far as I can tell there's no offset in the hold-down pressing, so the top of the T-handle sits in the same position whether the hold-down pressing is high side up or high side down.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2017 at 6:15 PM, siteunseen said:

Is this for a 240 or a 280?

Thanks for any info.

1508714058504.jpg

I'm going to use this side down. Like Alan's picture, the opposite side looks like new. So thank you all for the replies. This has been an interesting thread in my opinion, I'm sure it's been covered before my joining the forum though.

Thank you all again, I love this forum and all the knowledge you guys are willing to share. 

Cliff

I'd say YES, of course Chuck.

There are no doubt several other early Z owners out there that haven't seen this yet that may be interested eventually.

IMHO, Steve's offerings of plastic and rubber reproductions are the best out there.

Just another little known item that completes the original picture for some, myself included.

Many thanks to  Site, HS30-H, Mike B and you for the topic and education.

Zup