IGNORED

Z Cars On TV And In Movies

texasz

25 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Good information with an insult added for flavor.  As usual.

Oh come on! Get over yourself (again!). Your comment about the car being off the road was classic Monday Morning Quarterbacking and my (extremely mild) push-back on that was perfectly justified. I'm giving the crew and the car the benefit of the doubt.

Unless you've driven one of these cars on those kinds of roads, on those kinds of tyres, on a competitive event, you won't be in any position to judge. 

28 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

p.s. and just wondering - have you ever raced a car?  Or driven it to the edge on a country road?  Can't really tell from your posts, they seem more intellectual and related to what seems to be your profession, which seems to be professional photography.  No sign that you've done much driving of the extreme type.

I don't think I should need to present my bona fides for your appraisal (pfft...), but...

I've been around race and rally cars since I was a kid, have raced Karts and cars to UK National level (British National B Competition License holder) and I have also navigated a 240Z historic rally car on UK events. I have done thousands of miles on UK track days too. But really, so what? I don't need any of that to correctly identify a 240Z rally car sitting in a ditch.  

Your guess that I'm involved in "professional photography" is incorrect.   

Another interesting thing about the Z in the ditch is that the video is a rally video.  There was a copilot giving instructions about the the course.  So, kind of embarrassing that a Z is in the ditch but all of those odd looking other cars stream on by.  The copilot gave poor instructions or the driver didn't handle the car well.  Also interesting that it went in nose first, not back end first, as far as you can tell.  Kind of looks like they just drove right off the edge and in to the ditch.

Anyway, another Z makes the new world of Youtube videos.  Too bad there's no footage of it driving before it ended up there.  Maybe it wasn't actually in the event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

The irony here is extreme.

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

Another interesting thing about the Z in the ditch is that the video is a rally video.  There was a copilot giving instructions about the the course.  So, kind of embarrassing that a Z is in the ditch but all of those odd looking other cars stream on by.

LOL  "copilot". It's a car, not an aircraft.

Like I said, this kind of thing happens. You clearly have not the first clue about how easy it is to put a foot wrong on a timed rally stage.

Here's a period example. Driver and Navigator were both World Championship level (driver won the East African Safari Rally in 1973, and four times more after that) but they could still put a car in a ditch:

Post 73 Burmah Rally crash-101.jpg

Those two "odd looking other cars" that pass by in the video are actually Group B Audi Sport Quattros. Kind of iconic cars in the history of the World Rally Championship and in the world of motorsport in general. I rest my case that you don't have the first clue what you are talking about here.

Also interesting that it went in nose first, not back end first, as far as you can tell.

See above photo. Maybe you could get in touch with the crew and give them the benefit of your wisdom? Teach them the difference between understeer and oversteer, perhaps? And why stop there... The FIA and F1's Race Control stewardship have been a little flaky in their decision making recently. I'm sure they'd be pleased to hear from you.

Too bad there's no footage of it driving before it ended up there.  Maybe it wasn't actually in the event.

Yeah. An historic rally car just happened to fall off the road and into a ditch when an historic rally event was passing through. What are the chances, eh? It probably just happened to be in the area minding its own business and - WHOOPS! Could happen to anyone.

Ah, the penny just dropped! This is satire, isn't it? Duh! I'm such a silly billy. I should have guessed.   

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Slightly blurred at the end of the clip but it looks like a late 60's yellow MGB, Midget or maybe Sprite right over the motorcycle riders' right hand on the left side of the darker blue VW.

Good eye, a lot of interesting cars can be seen in these late sixties, early seventies TV shows. Later in the same Cannon episode a very nice gold colored E-type Jag can be seen. The same era show, Mannix, has a lot of cool cars as well, including the collection of convertibles that Joe Mannix drove. Like this '68 Dodge Dart GTS.

image.png

From season 4 (1970), on Mannix, a '70 240Z is seen as a background vehicle. (source IMCDB,org)

image.png

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Watched Fletch on my layover the other day:  if you haven’t seem it and want a flashback to the good-ole 80’s it is a must watch.  Wow, has our country has changed, I’d give up all the tech to go bac.  Chevy Chase is classic.   Loved this movie.  Saw 2-3 Zs in the movie.   

C2075DA0-801A-47C8-87A9-43F475DF84AC.jpeg

• Like 4