IGNORED

headliner

Richard McDonel

4510 is tough to track down. The whole saler in canada will only sell it in 45 gal drums. I have to beg a local upholstry shop for it.

Whatever spray you use, make SURE its rated for headliners.

Heat will cause many of the sprays to fail.  

12 hours ago, wheee! said:

Remember to take pics or have an assistant take some...!

Alas, no photo's today, but I will add that it was time consuming even with help. An extra pair of hands is the only thing I would add to zKars list.  The spray adhesive included in the MSA headliner kit was good.  It was the 3M 08088.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe newsom said:

Headliner went on great, now I am ready to tack on the header trim and side rail trim. To me this process would be way better with a brush on cement. Is there something that is good that isn’t so hard to track down

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

header trim and side rail vinyl are locked in on both sides so really don't require the glue strength that the headliner does,  the standard 3m trim spray adhesive would more than enough or maybe just brush on contact cement.

51 minutes ago, 87mj said:

This has got to be the worst possible job imaginable. I am not looking forward to it.

BTW, how accurate are the MSA headliners.  Anyone? 

Can you tell they are not original? 

I used the one from MSA in black. It was generously big. I had to trim it a little bit in placed. I don't know that most people would ever know it wasn't the stock one. I trimmed it after it was sort of glued in and we were tucking it in.

My wife & I installed a new Z Car Source headliner in our ‘75 Z this afternoon.  It went pretty smoothly.  Previously, I installed a RetroSound sound deadening mat on the inside of the roof.  This mat isn’t a tar-type mat, so I hope it holds up well.  It has an open cell foam inner layer between the silver outer layer and the adhesive backing.  It’s 1/4” thick, which made me a bit nervous, as the headliner was 1/2” thick and I didn’t know how it would fit between the ceiling and the rails.  To address my concerns, I cut the RetroSound mat so that it wouldn’t quite reach the rails.  I wanted to make sure the mat didn’t take away from the room needed by the headliner edges to tuck in.

I masked off the rails to protect the vinyl and about 2” of the ceiling (sound mat) all around.  I masked off 2” of the mating surface of the headliner, too. 

I used tape to mark the front-to-back centerline of the headliner, and I also marked the front and back centerline of the roof rails.  I drew a line down the middle of the sound mat with a sharpie.  Then, I sprayed one side of the ceiling and one side of the headliner with the adhesive provided by Z Car Source.  Next, I removed the tape used to mask the edges (the tape caught the adhesive overspray) as the edges were not to be covered with adhesive.  Not sure is my description makes sense. 

After giving both surfaces time to get tacky, we carefully centered the headliner to the ceiling using the previously taped/marks, then my wife held the non-glued side of the headliner in place while I carefully pressed and smoothed the glued side to the ceiling.  I left the edges out of the rail-ceiling gaps at this time.  After pressing (not too hard) and smoothing this side of the headliner for a while, so that the headliner would stay in place on its own, my wife & I switched sides.  I applied the adhesive in the same manner as the first side, and attached the second side.  After both sides had more than 30 minutes to set up, I used a paint stick with the edges sanded/rounded to work the headliner edges into the gap between the roof and the rails.  It looks pretty good, especially since I’ve never done this before!

Here are some pictures.

CF2BD1F8-3FD2-4A62-81FE-D7F8E180A4DD.jpeg

36C28869-E0A8-4192-B241-40BED7180705.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks!  I used much of the approach described by zKars, above.  I also read about the paint stirring stick for tucking in the edges in this thread:

This is a great place to learn how to tackle just about any Z car project!