IGNORED

headliner

Richard McDonel

There have been several posts on how to - and how not to - install the headliner in 240s etc (tricky job).  In comments there seemed to be some confusion over which adhesive was most effective.  3M Super 77 was suggested by some, and denigrated by others.  I called the 3M factory, and they replied by e-mail, and flat-out said that Super 77 is "not strong enough," and further that it will deteriorate anything with foam.  They recommend 3M part number 08088 "Spray Trim Adhesive."  This is considered an industrial rather than an automotive product, so your local auto supply shop will likely not have it - you have to go to an industrial supplier.  

Looking forward to getting my fingers sticky.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard McDonel said:

They recommend 3M part number 08088 "Spray Trim Adhesive."

I've used this and found it very effective.  Many autobody supply and auto paint jobbers keep it in stock.  Hardware stores do not.

1 hour ago, Chickenman said:

Maybe I'll just drive out to calgary and have Jim do this when the time comes. Getting tired of creaky, head frying Sun Roof!! Grrrrr...

Come on out and visit! Or I'll do it when I come to the Datsun show end of August!. 

That sun roof needs to go. I think I have a spare roof skin we can spot weld in. Or glue that new headliner straight to the glass! Boom, solved.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, gwri8 said:

Perfect timing!  I'm just heading out to install a headliner kit from MSA today (not my car) and was just thinking what adhesive what order would be best. Thanks!

Remember to take pics or have an assistant take some...!

4 hours ago, gwri8 said:

Perfect timing!  I'm just heading out to install a headliner kit from MSA today (not my car) and was just thinking what adhesive what order would be best. Thanks!

I’ll be installing a headliner from Z Car Source next week.  This topic has been very helpful!