IGNORED

280zx 1979 2+2 slick roof restauration

dutchzcarguy

Thank you for reply and explanation. I like your reasoning and I think it gives me some direction on mine.

I’m certainly not doing concours type build and should just go with makes me happy and keep them protected. Shiny Cad parts make me happy.

That splash shield almost looks to cool to paint, but I do understand the want to protect if it’s going to be driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last week i did a bit of pain(t)work  on the engine.. 🙂 

But first some old pics, not bad after a good clean, a lot of paint is still on the engine. As this engine has only 120k Kms on it it was sufficient to take all the seals out and leave the pistons and crank in the block. (it would be very unneccessary work if i had taken it out.. as the oil was now after 1000+ kms after the restore still pellucid/transparant.

After a good clean (before sanding) i discovered a big number on the block.. i have no idea what it's doeing there..

20211005_144124.jpg

Painted block L28 N42

20211005_153404.jpg

20211005_153308.jpg

Zinc painted sump .. (it was a combi of first a layer of zinc and then some charcoal paint, it was a bit much so i rolled the paint what gave me this effect..)

20211002_161940.jpg

20211002_161945.jpg

The sump was in very good condition, all bolt holes where OK. As cork seals are not very good i used liquid sealer on the sump..

Intake manifold also ready for install.

20210923_152716.jpg

Throttle valve ready for install..

20210922_142855.jpg

20210922_142931.jpg

Next time a complete engine on a stand.. 🙂

• Like 1

I got a question..  This 280zx has a oil cooler.. does it really need one as the 240-260 engines never had one standard iirc..  

I do have some spare parts to make it a non oil cooler car.  (tube in the middle of the oilfilter is a short one.)

As i'm in the Netherlands (not that hot as in some other countries) and not racing i think that my car could run without the big oil cooler. (Much more tidy engine compartment)

Did a 280z (s30) have a oilcooler?  practicly the same engine..

WHAT DO YOU THINK? 

6 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I got a question..  This 280zx has a oil cooler.. does it really need one as the 240-260 engines never had one standard iirc..  

I do have some spare parts to make it a non oil cooler car.  (tube in the middle of the oilfilter is a short one.)

As i'm in the Netherlands (not that hot as in some other countries) and not racing i think that my car could run without the big oil cooler. (Much more tidy engine compartment)

Did a 280z (s30) have a oilcooler?  practicly the same engine..

WHAT DO YOU THINK? 

Only the 81 ZXT got an oil cooler in North America. Not sure about anywhere else.

I have had 3! 280zx's   and were 1980 and 1983 and now a 1979.. they are/were all euro versions and all had an oil cooler!   I'm sure that it all was standard.

Thanks mailnome for your answer..  i think i leave it of as it don't really needs it with my driving .. this one is not for the circuits..

As i'm busy with the engineroom.. My air flow sensor is.. i think a little of scale due to the old spring in there..  I looked for a topic but could not find anything

As i'm restoring al the parts in the engineroom, is there a way to restore the springtension in the air flow sensor/ a topic that i can read before i open mine?

After 42 years the car is still driving well but i think a little slugish?  It could do better but don't know yet if it's the AFM ?  .. Compression on my 280zx 1979 euro.. (L28) is perfect on all cylinders.  It never missed a beat and runs very well..  (I'm surprised that the AFM is doing so well as most AFM's are of the scale wrong after 40+ years..

I just finished parting out what was left of a extremely rusty 79 slick top 2+2. I have the AFM and ECU if you want them for spares. Very very cheap. 

Only other things worth saving were the instrument cluster, steering wheel and maybe the right tail light.

2718071D-A994-464A-91CD-6927EA87F309.jpeg

165964BA-0F1B-4051-B781-A3228A53DB68.jpeg

99BE1458-B21B-4432-B898-043A85D99E9C.jpeg

9F427B19-27C3-4DDC-BDC8-F2AEB42E501F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1