IGNORED

280zx 1979 2+2 slick roof restauration

dutchzcarguy

22 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Mart post us the pictures of the finished ZX here , I'm sure people are willing to see the pictures ?

Yeah yeah..

Last week i got out of the car and hurt my back really bad.. went to the doctor and he told me i have a hernia...   It's véry painfull.. i barely can walk..

I wanted to make a set of pic's of the finished car.. (inside and out) but i'm at the moment more or less tied to my chair and bed.. (A lot of #%&^$#*^%$...GRrrrrr..)

Here i got this one on my pc so can post this one, made in Boxmeer (The Netherlands of course, When i was at the carpartsshop)

20200703_135342 (2).jpg

The car is stil not waxed...  I did install the last inside trimmings before the hernia..  Doctor says i can take 12 weeks to recover.. :angry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This morning i got a mail from Trevor..  He's a guy who restores cars and has a lot of vid's on youtube that explain a lot over restorations and stuff, very interesting.  (look for : trev's blog.)

He told me that he could see ..  only from the pictures i sended, that it was a professional restauration!  AU... AU....  AU!!!.. ALL THOSE FEATHERS UP MY BUTT  Oeps...!! sorry...

Go see on youtube what he's doing.. trev's blog,  about taking out dents and welding.. making panels and stuff, he's a good teacher!

• 1 month later...

I think there are always things to improve on any (hobby) car but i have a small "still to do" list of things.. One is the rear carpet and upholstery stuff..

As my upholstery guy is a busy man and i'm not afraid of trying to do it myself i got to it.

this is terrible.. the old part...

20200719_145015 - kopie.jpg

cleaning!

20200725_155939 - kopie.jpg

Much better.. new upholstery by... me!

20200725_161534.jpg

Cleaned the box.

20200725_160010.jpg

Next part.. cleaning was enough.

20200627_102111.jpg

Good to go!

20200627_102123.jpg

Rear part..  not bad for a first time ..

20200716_144021 (1).jpg

The end result. (I installed the original (!) 41 years old carpet here!!)

20200727_150938.jpg

The radio and cassette deserve some extra attention/explaining in a 280zx..    these are the ones that where put in the Euro version (1979 in this case)  a radio from clarion in mono, speaker in the dash ( mid.top )

20200817_152009.jpg

For the cassette player in this case a Clarion unit.  But can also be a Hitachi?  I think i have seen both..   The cassette is in stereo.. The speakers are in the back near the rear seats ..

20200817_152015.jpg

So funny, you can play the radio and cass. simultaniously!

Working on some rims of 45 years old now..  tested 8 of them on a balancer and they were good to go.. to the sandblasters.. (me again... haha)  (The 9th rim was a bad one and just in the pic (lower one) for to show the difference!)  Lower one has some damage.. maybe i could weld some alu in but i got 8! good rims.. so don't think i'll do that in the near future..

20200827_161516.jpg

Years ago i bought a analzer for a datsun..  in a very nice condition, don't know how it works, think i need another extender so i can check a 280zx EFI system.. i got 2 extenders type: j25400-12   and i have done some investigating and need another one.. the number of that on is escaped me...

20200913_161703.jpg

A real electronic guy always want to take a look inside hey....  @Captain Obvious

20200913_161748.jpg

Here the extender... wrong one.. (for a datsun 280zx.)

20200913_164221.jpg

No idea were these go..

20200913_164241.jpg

Since the first of July drove about 500 km's with the 280zx  and i must say it drives very well, there are always things to improve and one is the idle speed of it. When cold it's 1000-1200 rpm and go's to 600-750 rpm  depending on how hot the weather is and how warm the engine is.. but there is to much difference so i think i'm going to put in some new sensors and maybe even check (the computer)  for old capacitors and such..  It never stalled on me but it was sometimes close with just 500-550 rpm's.  (It could ofcourse also just be a bad connection on one of the sensors..  It's parts under the hood are all 41 years old and i take my had off for it doing so well!

Edited by dutchzcarguy

1 hour ago, dutchzcarguy said:

A real electronic guy always want to take a look inside hey....  @Captain Obvious

20200913_161748.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for the pics. That tester is very cool. Hope you can actually get it to work!

Looking at the back of the board, I don't see anything that looks like a microprocessor. I I would have expected it to be computer based, but unless they used something small (unlikely during that time), it doesn't appear so.

That thing must've cost thousands when it was new.

19 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I would have expected it to be computer based,

I saw a datecode on a powertransistor. week 05 '79..  so the machine is of 1980 or so, the microprocessor was still in development..  i think?

Hope you can actually get it to work!

Hihi, yeah.. i had it with the manual, and it was laying IN between the case halves.. i thought.. it will get wrinkled this way and i left it out and thought to read it some time..  now i can't find the EFFING thing?  oh well.. it's somewhere in this house.. ;-)

That thing must've cost thousands when it was new.

I think so... i have a brand new NISSAN CONSULT, bought from a Belgian nissan (sub?)dealer!!  To check my 300zxtt i thought..  but it won't  work.  It's a complete case with all the special cables, leads everything!  Not a scratch on it... but the only thing it does is "peep peep peeeeep..  when you touch the screen..  THAT was something special in 1990 !!! A TOUCHSCREEN!!!!

I ones opened it with a friend who (maybe?) has worked on the development of your smartphones processor!  ;-)  (Samsung)   We could not get it to work after a new back up battery and some power from a transformer. :-(  

I need the servicemanual for the servicemanual-tool  haha..  you any idea where i could find the circuitdiagram of a nissan-consult 1 ?

18 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Hope you can get that tester operational.   

If only i could find that damn user manual...!!  ( I don't know if i got the right overlay but do know that i have the wrong extender.  I got j25400-12 and i need something like j25400-32 or so.. i red that long ago)

oh.. i have the extender twice (same j25400-12) so i could  exchange one..   On the other hand.. i asked myself.. why 2 the same types with this analyzer?  Is the older one (single one with a serial number!) defect and now theres a new(er) one with the analyzer?  Maybe it's an idea to open up a extender to look for damage..  yeah the older one with serialnumber 4009.