DIY Gland Nut Socket - With PICS! - Page 7 - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

DIY Gland Nut Socket - With PICS!

Featured Replies

Got me a real wrench....2 inches ......I'll let you know if it works!  :wow: It weighs about 5 lbs.   A nut on one end trying to get a nut off of the other end   :rolleyes:

IMG_0807.JPG

Edited by Diseazd

I'm biting my tongue really hard right now.

 

Dropped the suspension......taking it to my friend Carlos at Citizen's Machine Shop.....they can do what we can't .......there is a time and a place for the experts.....:blink:

IMG_3130.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I decided to experiment a little. I bought a fork cap tool and reamed it out to fit a gland nut. Sorry for the picture quality. I didn't feel like getting a better camera when I was done.

Package.jpg

Filing done.jpg

With Gland Nut.jpg

On 3/17/2017 at 4:59 PM, Diseazd said:

Got me a real wrench....2 inches ......I'll let you know if it works!  :wow: It weighs about 5 lbs.   A nut on one end trying to get a nut off of the other end   :rolleyes:

That's the same wrench I used for the last pair I did. I bought it for $8 bucks so it was a no brainer to give it a shot. you might have to use the open end and shove a 1/16th shim on one side to get it to be snug and protect the edges of the gland nut.

no heat required. I just bolted the hub to a wheel/tire and put it face down on the ground and stood on the bottom/back of the strut tube where the spindle is and pulled upward with the wrench. No heat or extra force required. Worked quite well.

No harm, no foul.......   Took it to Citizen's Machine Shop. They couldn't get em off either......not with the thin gland nut head anyway. Carlos welded a plumbing fixture to the top of the gland nut and used an impact wrench to get them off. Some jobs just can't be done at home.

.......and brand new Tokico Blues installed  :wub:

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

Edited by Diseazd

Success!  Nice to see that it could be saved, now you're going to put some anti-seize on that new gland nut, right?

Yep....I coated the threads with grease ........It ought to be easier when I do this in another 45 years!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.