IGNORED

Somethings wrong...

Redwing

It's had me scared for the past few days, I live in the woods but lucky for me they've cut all the pines out already.  Those tall Southern pines are ticking bombs around here.

Dad said he had to get to it first and then he just straight wired it somehow and the clutch kicked in and it started blowing cold.  What he did before checking that switch I don't know.  It's a fairly new Lincoln Town Car and all the crap on the dash had to be a nightmare to remove.  I imagine my Dad made the mechanic mad complaining so he charged him top dollar I'm sure.  You know that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. ;) 

One more thing Jai, with your long hair PLEASE be extra careful anytime checking under the hood with the engine running. long hair and belts and pulleys are is not a good combination. You should always have your hair pulled back into a tight pony/bun before even opening the hood.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

One more thing Jai, with your long hair PLEASE be extra careful anytime checking under the hood with the engine running. long hair and belts and pulleys are is not a good combination. You should always have your hair pulled back into a tight pony/bun before even opening the hood.

Dave thank you for your concern.  I was in a jewelry class many years ago, when my friend who had hair long enough to sit on, got some caught in the buffing wheel.  It snatched that hair out in a millisecond.   Ever since then I am always careful with my long hair, that was traumatic to even see happen.

Have a great evening,

Jai

On 4/30/2017 at 4:18 PM, SteveJ said:

Jai might just have to get the alternator/VR fixed then come over to my house to get the other things worked on. I can cover a lot more ground at my place with all my tools available.

Steve that would be great, thank you for suggesting it.  We will have to get together when you have time and I have gas money.    This month is unrolling like it is going to be an expensive one.  I'll have to see after the alternator is installed, just where I am at financially.  Ok?

Thank you for the offer.

Jai

Just got back from Jai's.   Replaced the Voltage Reg and all is well. Voltmeter is steady, the headlights don't pulse and the turn signals came back. I even got her dome light working. :beer:

I'm not an electrical kind of guy and probably less of a AC guy.   That being said, I checked it by hand and her A/C compressor is not locked up.  It does not come on when switched.  I did check the connections at the switch and compressor and they looked good.  Remember, this is an aftermarket unit that was installed last summer by a local guy. 

My hair did not get caught in anything.  :rolleyes:

On a side note it seems that RockAuto has changed their shipping method.  You could really get hammered by the shipping costs when you ordered multiple items and they all came from "different" warehouses".   This time it all seemed to come from one place with no A,B,C,D origins with DHL being the initial carrier. 

Edited by gwri8
  • Like 4

One way to check the ac is to see if there is a low pressure / high pressure switch on the dryer. If there is unplug it and stick a jumper wire in it. If the compressor runs then it is a refrigerant level issue. Don't run it like this very long. Low refrigerant can damage the compressor.

If there is no LP/HP switch run 12v to the AC compressor and see if it runs. If it runs, let it run for a second and see if it cools...

• Like 1

Just now, gwri8 said:

Just got back from Jai's.   Replaced the Voltage Reg and all is well. Voltmeter is steady, the headlights don't pulse and the turn signals came back. I even got her dome light working. :beer:I

So glad Greg came over in all this rain!   THANKS GREG!!!  Have to run a few days to make sure all is OK before returning the alternator. That's easy!  Will have to check the A/C the way Charles has suggested, but it will be 10 days or so before that can happen.  

Bit of rotten news.  Gmail decided to not sync my email, and they have no "customer care" to talk to.  No choices anywhere near what my problem is in their "prepared help by text".  But I finally sent an email stating the problem, and they will get back to me in 3-5 days.  Nice eh?   Anyway, no email coming or going, so don't send me any more love notes for a while!!!    :wub:    Hahaha.....

Edited by Redwing
error
  • Like 1

Did you get one of the old timey mechanical VR's?  Or sold-state?  From Rock Auto?

I don't see that anyone measured voltage at the AC compressor power wire.  That would be good to do.  The compressor clutch grounds through the mounting points, apparently, actuation comes when power is applied through the wire.  There's two relays involved.  But you can start at the end of the line and work back.

2nd edit - I had wrote something about the blower motor then second-guessed myself.  but it looks like the blower motor is in series in the circuit that actuates the second relay.  It's an interesting diagram.  Still, test at the end and work backward.

1976 AC.PNG

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Before Greg left, he checked the fuses.  It looked like the AC fuse was wonky, so he pulled it and because it was a 20 amp that I didn't have, he left the wonky one out for me to replace.  When I went driving this morning, the freshly fixed and working turn signals did not come on.  BUT when I bought the 20 amp fuse and put it in the AC slot, the turn signals started working!!!  Now that is amazing.  I'm thinking someone in their great abundance of knowledge somehow tied them into the AC fuse line.  Is that even possible?  Whatever, the AC and the turn signals both work now.  I'm thankful.

Then, leaving church, putting on my seat belt it jammed is the only word to use.  It will pull out about 20" and stop.  Nothing I can do will get it to release further.  If I allow it to wind in it only goes about 10" before coming to a solid stop.  So it will neither recoil fully, or allow me to pull it out enough to secure me in.  So I drove home with it pulled across my chest enough to show the cops I have it on.  Snicker. They are fierce about wearing seat belts here.  I felt very insecure driving without my seat belt.  I have used one ever since I had them installed in the '53 Chevy I drove when my son was small.  He is 54 now, so that's about 50 years of being safe.  Now, what magic wand can you offer to me to fix this nuisance?  I can't drive long acting like I have it connected, plus not being safe.  Yipes, help!  Thanks.

Hi All,

Before Greg left, he checked the fuses.  It looked like the AC fuse was wonky, so he pulled it and because it was a 20 amp that I didn't have, he left the wonky one out for me to replace.  When I went driving this morning, the freshly fixed and working turn signals did not come on.  BUT when I bought the 20 amp fuse and put it in the AC slot, the turn signals started working!!!  Now that is amazing.  I'm thinking someone in their great abundance of knowledge somehow tied them into the AC fuse line.  Is that even possible?  Whatever, the AC and the turn signals both work now.  I'm thankful.

Then, leaving church, putting on my seat belt it jammed is the only word to use.  It will pull out about 20" and stop.  Nothing I can do will get it to release further.  If I allow it to wind in it only goes about 10" before coming to a solid stop.  So it will neither recoil fully, or allow me to pull it out enough to secure me in.  So I drove home with it pulled across my chest enough to show the cops I have it on.  Snicker. They are fierce about wearing seat belts here.  I felt very insecure driving without my seat belt.  I have used one ever since I had them installed in the '53 Chevy I drove when my son was small.  He is 54 now, so that's about 50 years of being safe.  Now, what magic wand can you offer to me to fix this nuisance?  I can't drive long acting like I have it connected, plus not being safe.  Yipes, help!  Thanks.