IGNORED

[2017] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

replaced head lamp driver side. it was shattered. don't know how it happened. ok when I washed and waxed car last month, then a few days ago while taken bug sponge to the frontend noticed sealbeam out. last year before I went to zcon 2916 I replaced same headlamp that was burnt out. I did that job with the wheel on, made the job difficult. this time I took wheel off, ten times easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was more like yesterday...For those of you who remember the BRE 240Z from the Memphis or Austin ZCON, I drove the Z over to visit with the owner of that car to catch up on all he's been doing to it since I last saw it in February. https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/bre-240z/

Be sure to click on the link in the post for the YouTube video of it firing up. The blog post has a link to a non Photobucket (@Captain Obvious) collection of photos I took when I was there.

BRE 240Z Picture 004.jpg

BRE 240Z Picture 019.jpg

BRE 240Z Picture 068.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

Well, it was more like yesterday...For those of you who remember the BRE 240Z from the Memphis or Austin ZCON, I drove the Z over to visit with the owner of that car to catch up on all he's been doing to it since I last saw it in February. https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/bre-240z/

WOW. Beautiful. I thought that was Ron Carters former 240Z. Who did that motor? Sounds fantastic.

8 hours ago, Lumens said:

WOW. Beautiful. I thought that was Ron Carters former 240Z. Who did that motor? Sounds fantastic.

Ron made his car up to more modern racing safety standards. With Randy's car, the only way you could make that more of the original 46 car is to somehow find the old wrecked body and repair it. The switches, the gauges, the powertrain, the wheels, the heat shield under the carburetors; all of that and more were at one time on the original 46 car. If there is a detail Randy doesn't think he has perfect, the car is changed to make it perfect. If you went through the Google photo gallery linked in the post, you might have noticed the lettering and numbers were hand painted.  Look closely at the "E" in BRE. You can see that there is a bristle from the paint brush caught in the paint. I thought I was good with attention to detail. Compared to Randy, I'm a piker. Of the 5 hours I spent with him, at least half that time was him describing things in detail to me, and most of that were updates just since February when I had previously seen the car.

As for the motor, it was originally done by BRE. It IS the motor used in the 46 during the championship runs. It was purchased with the car and used until the purchaser started using 2.8 liter motors. However, it was put away in a re-built condition. About 40 years later, they opened up the engine in preparation for installing it in the car for the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance. I'm not sure if they put in fresh gaskets and seals, but essentially they just buttoned up the motor.

Randy is going to have John Morton drive the car and the Monterey Historics this year and quite possibly the Mitty at Road Atlanta in April 2018. We're also keeping our fingers crossed that John will also make ZCON 2018. Now we're trying to figure out how to recreate the BRE 240Z commercial while he's here. Randy is already trying to line up the red 240Z. :) We are trying to make this a special convention. The bigger challenge for us is to figure out how to get Pete Brock to show up...

By the way, @Carl Beck, that would be a great time to break out the Baja Z. Hint, hint. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Ron made his car up to more modern racing safety standards. ...snipped cjb.... Randy is already trying to line up the red 240Z. :) We are trying to make this a special convention. The bigger challenge for us is to figure out how to get Pete Brock to show up...

By the way, @Carl Beck, that would be a great time to break out the Baja Z. Hint, hint. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.

Hi Steve:

Since the Convention for 2018 is going to be held in a much cooler month - I'll make every effort to have the BRE Baja Z there.  Time to take it back to the engine shop there, to have it checked and retuned etc. anyway.  I think you must mean - Randy is trying to line up the Blue 240Z - Yes/No?  The #3 C-Production Z was Blue/White. 

Carl B.

Carl, MikeB linked the commercial I was referring to. Randy is going to talk to Mark Lambert about bringing Mark's 240Z for the beauty shot at the end of the commercial.

Edit: Thinking about it, it might be nice to have a flood of BRE tributes, too. :)

Edited by SteveJ
Added some more

• Mike pinned and locked this topic