IGNORED

Just ordered some custom seat covers for the Z

Zedyone_kenobi

I'm glad to hear everyone is happy with innovation-interiors. I just ordered a red leather set with gray nueva suede inserts for my 2011 Miata. They didn't have a pattern for the "NC" Miata, so I sent them my OEM covers to use for a pattern.

• Like 1

28390187975_c69e135fb8_b.jpgFinal photo of the seats in the car!

I am very pleased. I also took the time to refinish my center console, and tried my hand at some fiberglass work to strengthen it and repair a crack.  Not bad for my first go.  I should have picked up some of that SEM texturizer to where I filled the tiny crack and sanded it smooth.  But I can do that next time I have it off. Car looks and feels fresh and new again.

• Like 2

Hello Zed & Mike,

I just got a 1973 240Z HLS30-123791.  Previous owner installed Miata seats, so I am looking for a very used pair of Series 2 reclining OEMs to restore as you have (new foam, leather seat covers, and probably the heaters as well).  So what I basically need is a set of seat frames with sliding rails, and the stationary brackets.  The OEM upholstery pattern is different from 240s to 260s and 280s, and the foam looks a little different on 280s as well.  Am looking at a lot of well worn seats that are candidates for me, but can't tell if they are 240, 260 or 280 seats.  

QUESTION 1 - Is it true that the Series 2 240Zs and the 260Zs have the same seat frames, but the 280s are different?

QUESTION 2 - Is there any difference in the foam between a 240, 260 and 280 seat when you order them from some place like MSA?

QUESTION 3 - Does either of the above matter if I am re-doing foam and upholstery anyway?

Thanks much for your seemingly encyclopedic knowledge on the subject.  

Tim

I'm not positive about the seat internals themselves, but I do know that 77 and 78 had a different design mounting point scheme on the floors and different seat rails accordingly. Because of that, the 77-78 rails cannot be used on the earlier cars, and vice versa.

I do believe that the mounting points where the rails attach to the seats are in the same positions for all years, so I think if you use the appropriate rails, you can put any year seat in any Z.

Cal buddy, I wish I did have an encyclopedic knowledge of the subject, but I certainly do not. I would wager that the seats frames would be very similar between the 240 and 260, but not sure about the 280. THe good captain here has some valid points.  I would look on ebay for some Z seats.  All you need is the frame and rails.  You can order foam and covers from many places.  I would take your time though and budget some cash for the job.  I wager to source the frames,rails covers and seats and have them done at good shop, you are looking at 1000 dollars. If you do the upholstery work yourself, about 500.  They add up, but think of it this way. You have to touch those seats every single time. WHen people look in your car they are one of the biggest things seen. Investing in seats and good carpet really jazz of a classic car and make it a nice place to be.

Thanks guys!  I have confirmed that the seat frames for 240zs and early 260zs are the same - this jives with the Captain, as the different 280x frames required different rails.  Per a call with MSA this morning, MSA/Distinctive foam sets work with all their upholstery sets (240; 260 and 280), but when used with a 280z seat frame will need to be trimmed in certain places to work.  So, I am on the hunt for a pair of Series 2 or early 260z seats - or any used seats that I know aren't from a 280, or a Series 1 240.  I plan to have the frames sandblasted and powder coated, will order foam sets and a pair of the heating units, and likely source leather covers from Interior Innovations given everyone's experience with them.  I'm thinking black leather with burnt orange top stitching to match the car.

Thanks again gents.

Tim

Edited by calspyderman