IGNORED

Just ordered some custom seat covers for the Z

Zedyone_kenobi

I have been wanting to redo my OEM seats for while.  IF you saw mine you would think they look perfect. They are not faded or torn or even the slightest bit worn. However, I have always thought the foam had given up the ghost.  Come to find out the PO had the OEM seats recovered, but did not do new foam. So what is a guy to do? 

Well I was dead set on getting the Kameari seats for the car. They are just absolutely stunning. But something tells me that they may be a bit too narrow. Plus they are 1700 dollars plus brackets, plus 575 dollars shipping. That is a hell of a pill to swallow.  I probably could have saved for it, but the thought that they would be narrow and hard to get out of gave me pause.  Having narrow seats is not the end of the world, I would fit, but having seats that could cost upwards of 2500 dollars that are also narrow, is just too much of a risk. One day I may see some and sit in them and realize they are the best seats ever, but I just cannot gamble with that much money.

fairladyhs30hshots006hr8.jpg

So I had what I thought to be a clever idea. I read about that interior shop www.interior-innovations.com that some of you spoke highly of. 

I decided to give them a try to see  what I could come up with.

I picked out a leather seat cover with silver stitching and a leather shift boot to match.

I will have a classic Z logo on the headrest also in silver (may have gone too far with that, but you only live once), the pic below shows modern Z. I had to photoshop this pic to show the company where I wanted the buttons exactly.

27506088486_bb0b9cfd36_b.jpg

I will have the OEM buttons carried up the back of the seat as shown in the picture.  Overall I am quite happy with the results. I think it will have the look of the Kameari, but keep the OEM seating position and brackets and allow me to order OEM foam replacements as needed. 

I cannot wait to get these in.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi
  • Like 2

You know I did not ask.

I am going to totally redo the foam with OEM foam anyway. I think my biggest gripe is how far down in the car I am. However, I do feel 'in' the car, not 'on' it.

I have to be careful about not getting my foam redone and the straps on the bottom redone so that I feel I sit ON the seat and not in it.  I have to walk the line here.

You know I did not ask.

I am going to totally redo the foam with OEM foam anyway. I think my biggest gripe is how far down in the car I am. However, I do feel 'in' the car, not 'on' it.

I have to be careful about not getting my foam redone and the straps on the bottom redone so that I feel I sit ON the seat and not in it.  I have to walk the line here.

Well shucks, I am thrilled you have the same ones. I wanted to see a vintage Z logo. Thanks for adding them for completeness. Now if only I did not suck at photo shop. I would cut that and paste it on my image above.  I am glad you like them. Is that the leather or the synthetic leather pictured.

• Like 1

Zedy,

I did something similar in my car last year before ZCON.  Had my seats redone by a local upholsterer here in Austin and also used a "Datsun" logo on the back of the headrest and it matches the same logo that I have on my brake calipers.  This same shop also recovered my strut towers, rear wheel area, sun visors, and made a custom brake boot and shift boot as well.  Most of the top stitching was done in green to match the color of the car as well. 

In addition, (and I have to give credit to my son Alex for this idea), we used Alcantara, essentially a micro fiber based suede material, in the center of the seat cushions and backs.  One of the real nice things about this is that the material makes you stick to your seat.  No more sliding around on leather or vinyl.  It feels great also. 

If you are interested I'll get some pictures taken and post them.

Let me know and great hearing from you.

Mike.

So after Cars and Coffee in Austin on Sunday, I finally had a chance to get a few pictures of my seats as well as other parts of the interior that I had redone as well.

The seat leather is an Italian soft leather and they were cut directly from hides.  The insides of the seat back and cushion are done with Alcantara which is like a micro fiber suede material (that also helps to keep you planted in the seat as well).  All of the top stitching was done in a green to match the color of the car.  Also had the armrest covered, as well as the sun visors.  Had one side done in leather and the other in Alcantara.  He also made me a shift boot and brake handle boot, all in Alcantara with green top stitching.  Finally had the strut towers and wheel indents done in a combination of leather and Alcantara.

Here's a few pictures. 

DSC_2556.JPGDSC_2557.JPGDSC_2559.JPGDSC_2560.JPGDSC_2552.JPGDSC_2550.JPG

DSC_2555.JPG

• Like 4