IGNORED

Found metal at the bottom of my 5-speed. What next?

KDMatt

Hey, @Dave WM thanks for the link to these videos, dude, this one in particular was really insightful: 

That said, I'm still not having any luck getting the bearing off. I need this dude's tool!!

@EuroDat I tried to replicate your tool with some wood and long bolts, but I can't apply enough pressure without the wood bending and cracking (and I'm using 3/4" plywood -- leftovers from when I re-decked my boat) 

@Mark Maras I tried using a punch, but I can't get a clear angle on it. 

I tried using my 1500watt heatgun to try to get the thing hot enough to knock out of place, but it still won't budge. I think I'm going to need to find a 12" gear-puller or something. :/ I just can't get enough leverage on the bearing. 

I'll keep you guys posted. 

If you have the fabrication skills, you could probably extend the jaws on a regular small bearing puller using steel strap or rod.  Three long pieces of steel.  Get some tension on it, then heat it, then tap it.  Combine all of the tips and techniques.

• Like 1

Just now, Zed Head said:

If you have the fabrication skills, you could probably extend the jaws on a regular small bearing puller using steel strap or rod.  Three long pieces of steel.  Get some tension on it, then heat it, then tap it.  Combine all of the tips and techniques.

I actually had this thought as I re-examined the medium sized gear-puller I've got... that if I had some sturdy-enough metal pieces I could extend the "jaws" of the puller and try my luck that way... which I should do anyway because I'm sure getting that bearing back on is going to be just as much of a pain as it is/was to get off. 

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for sticking with me.

I think that you can use a piece of appropriately sized pipe, diameter and length, to install the bearing.

On pullers - I've had to use a clamp to hold the jaws of a two-jaw puller closed, on the CS bearing, when they kept slipping.  Accidentally turned it into a bearing splitter.  Just an anecdote.

• Like 1

Try two blocks of hard wood cut to the length between the adapter plate and the bearing. Heat the bearing and use two jimmy bars of big screwdrivers on each side to pry it off. If you use some heat it should come off without too much force. You just need to break it loose and with heat it should come off.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

That would be a fifteen second job on my hydraulic press. Thirty seconds if I had to adjust my table position for the length of the shaft first.

Nyeah, nyeah!     :P

You bring up another option.  If he has a drill press he might be able to stick the shaft up through the bit relief hole, block/fixture around the bearing and either use the press as a lever or drop the table down and pound on the shaft.

I've done numerous disdainful things.  

I don't think the press would have the leverage.  I'd use a mallet on the shaft and brace the table.  Maybe drop it down on to some wooden blocks.  Inertia is your friend.