IGNORED

Collapsing Shocks To Push Bumpers Closer To Body

Captain Obvious

I've read a number of threads about how people collapse their later model bumper shocks before installing 240 bumpers on their 260s and 280's, but I have a slightly different question... I would like to know what it looks like if I were to move my 280 bumpers closer to the body, but I'm not yet ready to throw in the towel completely on my original bumpers.

So anyone got any pics of a 280 where they've collapsed the shocks but are still running the original bumpers?

Interesting idea. I've never done this, but I'm pretty sure the rubber end/fillers would be pushed into the body forcing you to remove them or the least trim them.  This would leave the ugly bumper with no end trim. Not sure how this would be better then going with skinny bumpers. Something about not being able make a silk purse out of a sows ear....

Pretty sure that FastWoman did this, and kept her big bumpers.  I think that she has a 78, but I don't remember seeing any pictures.  On my 76 the bumper moves inside the rubber end trim, so they'd end up projecting ahead of the bumper.  78 has the accordion style pieces.  but after 38 years they may not be flexible anymore.  Wish somebody made rubber replacements or modified ends.

There was a trick the owners of BMW 635csi cars would use when in the late 80's the bumpers became diving boards, they would move the car so that the bumper was just touching a wall or telephone pole then put the car in gear and push the bumper in as far as it would go then apply the parking brake.

With the bumper in the collapsed position you would drill through the outer sleeve then through shock shaft beneath it, drop in a bolt and you were done.

I don't know if this would work for a 280 but I thought I would mention it.

21 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Pretty sure that FastWoman did this, and kept her big bumpers.

not sure how sarah would respond to this one... but then she has a pretty good sense of humor.

if you have some time & patience you could pull a mold off the stock rubber ends, modify to fit the new config and cast a new set from silicone. materials not too much $$ and could be a fun project - maybe even make a few sets for others if they come out well once you got the mold.

IIRC there's a pressure release screw in the end of the gas shocks which, once removed should allow you to push the bumper in to whatever depth you want then drill in a bolt as granny suggested. 

Thanks for the input guys. I know something would have to be done about the black rubber bumper ends to shorten or remount them accordingly. At this stage I'm just wondering what it would look like.

Zed Head, that last post you sent me to has some good stuff in it. Thanks for that one. I did a little searching here for the topic and came up blank. I found numerous threads at zcar.com about the topic, but all of them were for people who installed 240 bumpers, So if I can figure out how to reattach an attachment from a previous thread, here's what the front of a 77-78 can look like with the stock bumper pulled in closer to the body. I like the look:
frenched front fender.JPG

And here's a pic of the back. Looks like not only did he take out the accordion ribs from the bumper ends, but he also sawed off and smoothed the bumperettes:
frenched rear bumper.JPG

• Like 1

Considering what the Park Benches looked like before, I think both look very, very nice.  If my 77' had come with both bumpers and black bumper ends I would have gone this way, definitely .  I have a 240 style on the front now and will probably do the same with the rear since I've already headed that direction. I do have and extra set of rear shocks if anyone is interested in them.

13 hours ago, Pmg said:

Actually looks good! Wish I thought of this before I hacked up the finisher.

PMG

Would that be a problem. If the bumper is moved close to the body, you wouldn't need the finisher to cover the gap. It gap should be just like the 240z bumper. I don't know how far the bumpers shocks will compress or if you would have to make custom brackets to get the gap right.

Darn, I think I might have just talked you out of buying my brackets:wacko: Jokes aside, if you like the look of compressed 280Z bumpers, then removing the finisher should not be the problem. More like what to do with the accordion ends.

The next big issue is the accordion ends. I think this is by far the biggest challenge. You could cut them down and glue them, test fit and use them to make a silicone mould. With the mould you can make PU rubber copies. Rossiz is on the right track, but making them out of silicone (even peroxided cured) will bleech out over time and quickly age in sunlight.

Cutting and gluing could also be an option. It would be the easiest way to do it. Which glue to use and how long would it last is the issue.