IGNORED

HLS30-01121 Gets A New Life

CHL240Z

11 hours ago, CHL240Z said:

@jonathanrussell I have also thought about not doing anything to the L24 and just rebuild/refresh when and if it ever goes back into the car.  I think you and @siteunseen may be right.  Here is the question I am contemplating.  Would it be OK to separate the different pieces and store them separately?  I say this because I can easily find shelf space for them in the garage.  I would leave the bottom end together and in a wood crate completely sealed as well as the head in a smaller wood crate completely sealed.  All the attachments (smog pump, alternator...) would be boxed up individually and also placed on the shelf.  

They're some drawings for a wooden crate floating around here that Zedyone Kenobi put up.  I made one and use it all the time.  The oil pan and the oil pump stay on too.  the head can be stored in a bag but you must put something under it to keep from resting on the vales, there will always be two sticking down past the bottom.  I've used doubled up cardboard on one and styrofoam on another, both work good.  Put the rest in boxes.

here's that wood crate.  you'll need some casters for it so you can roll it around.  And those bumper's boxes look just like the ones from Futofab that I bought, the rear is 3 piece though.

engine cradle.jpg

SDC10673.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello everyone.  I am in the Navy and have been away from home for about 6 months.  I finally got shore duty orders so won't be going underway for the next 3 years.  It is good to finally be home.  I am ready to get going on this project again.  Since I have been gone I have changed my minds on a few things.  We will get into all that soon, but for now I wanted to say it is good to be back and stay tuned we are about to get busy.

Clay

Edited by CHL240Z
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On November 11, 2016 at 6:56 PM, CHL240Z said:

Hello everyone.  I am in the Navy and have been away from home for about 6 months.  I finally got shore duty orders so won't be going underway for the next 3 years.  It is good to finally be home.  I am ready to get going on this project again.  Since I have been gone I have changed my minds on a few things.  We will get into all that soon, but for now I wanted to say it is good to be back and stay tuned we are about to get busy.

Clay

I am interested in your project.  I am retired Navy, still work for the Navy in Coronado.  I have 3 Z projects going, one is a series 1 VIN 2675.  That one along with my 71, are at a shop in Santee getting paint and body.  My 71 should be blue by mid month.  The 70 should be yellow by April.  We have found that the 70 totally and correctly restored  has the most value.  We started with a  shell with the 70, your starting point is so much better.  My body guy is awesome he does all the work for Classic Datsun now, he has painted iconic race cars as well, a few are owned by the Ace man.  Collecting the series 1 parts is a labor of love that is for sure.  Got lucky on CL by finding a 71 Oct 70 build date in  Jumal , it came with lots of great parts.  It is at the shop about to be parted down.  My friend Motorman7 is also very knowledable with the series 1 cars as he has a beautiful example of one in the same color as yours.  Looking forward to seeing what your next move is.  

I would love to know who your Body guy is?  I am in El Cajon and am shopping around for a good paint and body shop.  My next move is definitely to get the car on a cart and have the frame rails and floor pans replaced as well as replacement of anything else that needs to go.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Clay

Edited by CHL240Z

• 2 weeks later...
On November 11, 2016 at 6:56 PM, CHL240Z said:

Clay

I am interested in your project.  I am retired Navy, still work for the Navy in Coronado.  I have 3 Z projects going, one is a series 1 VIN 2675.  That one along with my 71, are at a shop in Santee getting paint and body.  My 71 should be blue by mid month.  The 70 should be yellow by April.  We have found that the 70 totally and correctly restored  has the most value.  We started with a  shell with the 70, your starting point is so much better.  My body guy is awesome he does all the work for Classic Datsun now, he has painted iconic race cars as well, a few are owned by the Ace man.  Collecting the series 1 parts is a labor of love that is for sure.  Got lucky on CL by finding a 71 Oct 70 build date in  Jumal , it came with lots of great parts.  It is at the shop about to be parted down.  My friend Motorman7 is also very knowledable with the series 1 cars as he has a beautiful example of one in the same color as yours.  Looking forward to seeing what your next move is.  

Send me an email I will introduce you to my guy and show some of the other Zs that are there.  He is an expert on floors and framerails.  Montezuma50@gmail.com