IGNORED

[2016] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

47 minutes ago, jfa.series1 said:

Channeling SteveJ with my own valve cover project.  This one came off a parts car and really needs a lot of work.  Those baby buffing wheels do a pretty good job of getting into all the tight areas around the cast lettering.

Dang it. I didn't even think of using my Workmate to hold the valve cover still. That's what I get for hiding it in the shed out back...not that I have room in the garage to store it.

26 minutes ago, Redwing said:

Lovely photos.  Nice quiet roads to drive, eh?  Very serene.

Jai

Perfect roads actually, it's a one way road with not many car but alot of pedestrians that like the nature on this mountain. 

But now the season is over for the Z : (IMG_7516.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, moelk said:

Perfect roads actually, it's a one way road with not many car but alot of pedestrians that like the nature on this mountain. e seasAon is over for the Z : (IMG_7516.JPG

Ahhh, yes a sad time.  I see the snow with your footprints in it.  Did you walk out to take that great photo?  

Where do you live in Sweden?  I have a friend that is from there.  I'll tell him about you.  They go back often.

Have fun,

Jai

IMG_7517.JPGYes I walked out to take a photo.

I was looking at my winter gear I got when i bought my other 240z (sadly sold that car)

Not that i will drive it in the snow and salt but its tempted to throw on the tires with spikes and the mudflaps front/back and take some pics : )

I live in Ödeshög by lake Vättern.

//Andreas 

• 3 weeks later...

The wiper linkage on my 73 240Z has separated several times. I removed the cowl to access the linkage today to try and fix it. 

The linkage is covered by a rubber boot. The boot construction is such that it has to be in place before assembling the linkage. Maybe you could do that with new rubber, but not with 44 year old rubber. I ended up assembling without out it, cutting the boot, installing it, and sewing it back together. The assembly order is shown here:

Overall.jpg

The "C" clip shown adjacent to the boot had come off and had expanded.  I could bend it easily with pliers. The first two times I reassembled it and squeezed the "C" clip on the shaft and then put everything back in the car it came apart again. The third time I was extra careful to re-shape the clip so it hugged the shaft after squeezing it. So far it is holding. I also was careful not to twist the assembly when installing it. I found it worked best for me to connect the passenger side wiper with one screw loosely while leaving the drivers side free to move around. After connecting the linkage to the wiper motor I could then get the driver's side attached and bolt everything down.

Arm.jpgArrow points to "C"clip installed.

Boot.jpg

Boot installed and sewn back together.

Remember to check the direction of wiper travel before installing the wiper blades. A trick I read on another post was to putt a piece of tape on the shaft and observe the direction and where it parks. If it is wrong you need to remove the linkage from the motor and rotate it 180 degrees.

If this comes apart again I will look for a replacement "C" clip.

• Mike locked this topic