IGNORED

Restoring a 1977 280z! (My first z car)

Jacob Grimm

• 2 weeks later...

Take the interior panel off the hatch. The push button just has a metal tab that sticks out to one side inside the hatch. When it is unlocked it hangs out over a release lever, when you push it down it pops the hatch. When it's locked the lock is rotated 90d so it is no longer over the release lever. Reach up in the hatch from the inside and find the release lever. Trip it by hand. A small mirror and a light might be good too...

I hope that makes sense...

The key turns in the button with no pressure on it, to get to the unlocked position.  Then the button can be pushed down.  In other words, if you're pushing on the key to try to push the button, that's not the way to do it.

Just in case.  Could also be the wrong key.

Well then, Patcon's suggestion is the way.  You'll have to twist your way back there or lay on your back to get to the screws.  Use a short screwdriver.  Take a flashlight and a few other pokey-proddy tools to move the lever.  The panel might have some sealant holding it in place, try not to bend it, it's just vinyl-covered cardboard.  

When you're done, get some stick-on weatherstrip and seal the complete perimeter of the panel.  It will keep exhaust fumes out.

You can slide the lock holding clip off with the panel off and remove the lock, then actuate the lever from the outside hole, I believe.  If you don't have another lock to put in its place.

Maybe your other locks have been changed out in the past and for some reason they didn't do the hatch lock? I've heard that the hatch locks are impossible to find. NOS is very rare and nobody makes a new replacement like they do for the doors and the ignition.

One of the other locks on the car that goes unnoticed... the glove box lock. Does your current key work in the glove box lock? If it doesn't, then maybe the hatch and glove box use the same (older?) key. If your current key DOES work in the glove box, then I'd suspect there's something busted up in your hatch lock like a tumbler has split and is jamming up the works inside.

• 4 weeks later...