IGNORED

Restoring a 1977 280z! (My first z car)

Jacob Grimm

Me? It means you've got what looks like a great start for project. It means we've all been there. Stuff will be out of place. Stuff will be missing. Stuff will be wired wrong. Stuff will be put on backwards. Stuff will be leaking because it's too loose or too tight or because it's standard thread when it should have been metric.

It's standard operating procedure.   :)

• Like 1

Or me? I don't have a photo with me at the moment, but can post a photo of both versions end next week. I have spares of both versions of AFM (Air Flow Meter).

Early version: (Your car) has the full seven pins in the wiring harness connector. The last two pins are for the fuel pump relay. Basicly the pump will only run if the engine is running and sucking in air. Its a safety device to stop the pump if the engine stops in an accident etc.

Later version: Uses the oil pressure sender to do this. The later sender has two prongs where yours will have one. It works the oil pressure gauge and allows the pump to run. Its located down next to the oil filter.

You can use the later version, if you can't find a good servicable early unit, but then you will need the later version of the oil pressure sender and run wiring over to it.

Bridging the wires in the harness is not a good idea, because you would then disable a safety feature.

Moi?  There was discussion that the car might be an almost original condition, low-miles, "survivor" type car.  But it looks more like a normal, been worked on, not quite right car now.  More fun in the long run because you don't have to worry about ruining something special.

Considering the loose wiring and the missing parts and the fact that it doesn't have what it needs to run anyway, it's in perfect position to get a multimeter, and the Engine Electrical, and Engine Fuel chapters, and the 1980 Electronic Fuel Injection Guide, and just spend some time taking measurements, and making everything right.  Then when you're ready to put a battery in it and see what works, you won't get any surprises.

• Like 1