IGNORED

Caswell Plating

Patcon

Accident on the way to the emergency room. It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

So what dimensions are you talking about? Last I saw, you were messing with the calipers I sent and you were still measuring a couple thousandths larger than expected. Did one of us miss a post somewhere?

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

So what dimensions are you talking about? Last I saw, you were messing with the calipers I sent and you were still measuring a couple thousandths larger than expected. Did one of us miss a post somewhere?

That is the one..thoughts?

@240260280 LOL

@Patcon  Over in this completely unrelated thread:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/60181-cleaning-the-filter-on-the-carbon-canister/

The subject of activated carbon came up, and as a result, I found this on Wikipedia:

"Industrial application:

One major industrial application involves use of activated carbon in metal finishing for purification of electroplating solutions. For example, it is a main purification technique for removing organic impurities from bright nickel plating solutions. A variety of organic chemicals are added to plating solutions for improving their deposit qualities and for enhancing properties like brightness, smoothness, ductility, etc. Due to passage of direct current and electrolytic reactions of anodic oxidation and cathodic reduction, organic additives generate unwanted breakdown products in solution. Their excessive build up can adversely affect plating quality and physical properties of deposited metal. Activated carbon treatment removes such impurities and restores plating performance to the desired level."

Here's the URL for the page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

I never knew any of that, and filtering used solution through activated charcoal filter might help with what you're doing?

I knew I could filter through charcoal. One of the problems with doing that is it removes all the brightener. As I have been getting good results up until the other day I didn't want to dump all the brightener. It is also a little expensive. I did have some funk on my plates the other day that could have been organics too. So I may need to just go ahead and filter it...

I filtered it through a stack of paper towels last week. That helped a lot with the clarity. I also have a 5 micron filter I can use but it's a pain. The real issue is organics in the solution. You get "drag out" out of the other tanks that can contaminate the solutions. Carbon would remove all of that at a very fine level.

I plated last weekend and got much better results. Not perfect but pretty close

20180610_183607.jpg

I had some build up on my plates because they got left in the tank all week

20180609_105917.jpg

Scraped them a little bit. Sprayed them down and plated with them. I have been running a lot higher current densities lately. I don't know if that is a circuit issue, a solution issue or what, but I am still getting the results I want. So I am just working with it. When my plating is dull I just add some current, which is what I think was wrong with the batch from the other weekend. These plates are almost shot. They are paper thin and getting ragged on the edges.