IGNORED

Cleaning the filter on the carbon canister

grannyknot

This tucks in under that bar running across from left to right. MSA sells it. It's the only "canister" filter I've ever replaced on my 77. I'm not sure that the charcoal one can be cleaned. Good question though.

Carbon Canister Filter, 70-89 Z/ZX 
Code: 18-9061
Price:$13.98

Edited by rcb280z

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

Do you suspect it needs it or is this excessive spring cleaning?

41 yrs, it deserves to be cleaned. But yes, once I get started...

41 minutes ago, rcb280z said:

This tucks in under that bar running across from left to right. MSA sells it. It's the only "canister" filter I've ever replaced on my 77. I'm not sure that the charcoal one can be cleaned. Good question though.

Carbon Canister Filter, 70-89 Z/ZX 
Code: 18-9061
Price:$13.98

So that yellow pre-filter is missing from my canister, I wonder how long it has been gone.  I might try to drip some ABS solvent in that seam around the outside to see if that cap loosens a bit.

I read this on an aquarium maintenance site for cleaning carbon filter:

1. Run warm water through the charcoal to rinse out impurities if using loose charcoal. If using charcoal cartridges, allow warm tap water to run through the cartridge for several minutes.

2. Hold the rinsed charcoal up near your ear. If you hear a sort of subtle crackling or popping noise emanating from the charcoal, place it back into the filter. If you hear nothing, the charcoal is no longer activated and should be replaced with fresh carbon.