IGNORED

'72 240Z Rebuild

siteunseen

Congratulations Cliff. Well done.

Celebrating a victory is always the best part of the job. Was it as difficult as you imagined? Any scratches?

What ZH said about the valve valve cover. The engine bay is beginning to look like a brightly painted circus wagon.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Congratulations Cliff. Well done.

Celebrating a victory is always the best part of the job. Was it as difficult as you imagined? Any scratches?

What ZH said about the valve valve cover. The engine bay is beginning to look like a brightly painted circus wagon.

I'm a clown so that's fitting. LOL

It took an hour to get it positioned like I wanted, half an hour if my puppy kept his nose out of it- literally, his nose was in my face everytime I turned around. After putting him in the backyard the drop down and mount bolt up took about an hour. It truthfully was easier than I thought but that was my ocd preparations. 

I'll take today off now, go see my Mom and cook myself a good dinner and start buttoning up Monday.

My thought, EASY, just take your time and have a good support system like we have here at classiczcars.com

I really appreciate everybody's input. I couldn't or wouldn't even attempted it without my buddies help on here. 

Thanks to all that offered advice.  8^)

Cliff

Congrats Cliff!

For me, the hardest part every time is getting the engine mount bolts started.  Those four bolts take longer that the rest of the job - at least on my 260Z.  I can't ever remember having a difficult time on the other 10 or so S30's I've done, but the one car I pull the engine constantly is the one that I struggle with.  <_<

I used nail punches I've collected over the years to line up the motor mounts. The rope and handle around the tranny's tail would work best if you had someone to pull it.  A good ole floor jack worked best for me.

After two motors I'm confident that I can do more by myself. I actually prefer the peace and quite and it only added 30 more minutes I'm guessing. Just like everything, there's proven shortcuts that work.  I'll be happy to share my experience with  the inexperienced like you guys did with me. Thanks again, it's scary hanging 500lbs over my sweet car. LOL

Just to let everyone know, the way that worked for me was to have the "fulcrum" part of the leveler as far back towards the transmission then level the whole assembly with the chains.  My little handle on the fulcrum got pretty tough to turn and had to be bent out to keep from hitting the chain, luckily the opposite end just has a nut.  And I got lucky again!  That nut is the same as the crank nose bolt, 27mm.  So I used a ratchet and that socket to smoothly lower the tranny down then back up.

leveler.png

• Like 2