IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

We have a crank shop near us that regularly reworks journals like that. They weld them up and then remachine them. Probably not cost effective. Especially if the offset grind L28 will accomplish almost the same thing. Hate it about the motor, but the new engine aught to be impressive

• Like 2

We have a crank shop near us that regularly reworks journals like that. They weld them up and then remachine them. Probably not cost effective. Especially if the offset grind L28 will accomplish almost the same thing. Hate it about the motor, but the new engine aught to be impressive

Yeah, the advantage of restoring the V07 was lost against the value of the whole package from Dave. I needed the whole set of parts.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wheee! said:

Yeah, the advantage of restoring the V07 was lost against the value of the whole package from Dave. I needed the whole set of parts.

Sorry to see your parts looking like that.  At least you should end up with a killer engine. 

It could be worse.  If you want to feel better, price a Porsche engine rebuild.  My 996 WILL need a rebuild at some point and I'm looking at about $20k for a pretty stock rebuild.  Okay, but it's a 911, so the car is worth a bunch of money right?  Yep, it's worth about $20k  😞 My car has 143,000 miles on it and the clock is ticking.

8 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Sorry to see your parts looking like that.  At least you should end up with a killer engine. 

It could be worse.  If you want to feel better, price a Porsche engine rebuild.  My 996 WILL need a rebuild at some point and I'm looking at about $20k for a pretty stock rebuild.  Okay, but it's a 911, so the car is worth a bunch of money right?  Yep, it's worth about $20k  😞 My car has 143,000 miles on it and the clock is ticking.

I have shopped for Porsche's many times but that is a big part of the reason I've never bought one.

Terrible story and I’m sorry to hear about it.   Makes me nervous since I rebuilt my motor in my garage and pray every day it doesn’t blow up on me. Runs great but so did yours until it began to knock.   You said it appears to be oil starvation. What clues gave you that idea and did your oil pump fail?  

9 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Terrible story and I’m sorry to hear about it.   Makes me nervous since I rebuilt my motor in my garage and pray every day it doesn’t blow up on me. Runs great but so did yours until it began to knock.   You said it appears to be oil starvation. What clues gave you that idea and did your oil pump fail?  

I'm not terribly sad... I bought a used motor that was a great deal and I gambled it was going to last a few years. I lost. The PO was super open about it's history and gave no indication that there was any potential issues with it. But, it seems to me that when I opened the pan to clean the engine before installation, I saw remnants of some bearing material, that I thought was timing chain case shavings as there was an old broken piece of timing chain guide in there too. So the oil starvation or bad bearing install was from well before I installed the motor. The pickup and pump are solid, no issues. The knock developed after I had been driving for over 600 miles, therefore there was no way the PO would have known without taking the pan off himself. Picture was taken before I installed the motor and at the time I was sure it was cover material, not bearings...

IMG_9226.JPG

Building a new motor is painfully expensive (especially when you have to import most of the pricey stuff from the states in USD), but the end result will be a custom built performance engine, totally refreshed and ready for years of service. I plan on this being the last time it will need a heart transplant as the car will not be abused in it's years to come. Some dyno testing and a little spirited driving at best!

As for doing it myself, I had two options. Do it myself or do it right.... and I am good at a lot of things and I could theoretically learn, but.... nope. I have a great engine builder with 30 years experience locally near me so I trust that his experience will make the difference in my confidence in the new motor. I'm also away from home for a few months, so that gives him time to get it done for me by summer!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2021 at 6:49 PM, wheee! said:

Doors and hatch are fitting much better. Still some adjustments to make.

Hi, I had a call about the Kia Sportage  door seal from a chap rebuilding a Series I. I used one about six years ago, but can't recall much.

Please help: What model year(s) of Sportage had this seal? If you have it, what is the KIA part number?

Thanks,

George

• 3 weeks later...