IGNORED

[2015] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Finally got the Wheelskins cover installed today, took over an hour. Glad I didn't try the more difficult baseball stitch. It's a very dark brown, guess the flash on the cam gave it a weird color. 

Saw these at MSA site, but wanted brown, so measured the wheel and ordered it from the manufacturer. Real leather, made in USA. Fits perfect. Took over an hour, not too difficult, except the thread got tied in knots several times. Sort of got the hang of it by the time it was finished.

Feels great driving, better grip and more comfortable. Almost like power steering.

Edited by Stanley

I had Wheelskins covers on several Z cars in the past.  They make different quality covers, so if anybody gets one, make sure it is a one-seam leather rather than a three-seam leather wrap.  The single-seam cover is much thicker and higher quality leather.

I agree that the single-seam one fit perfect and was very high quality.  The three-seam cover was just OK.

I had Wheelskins covers on several Z cars in the past.  They make different quality covers, so if anybody gets one, make sure it is a one-seam leather rather than a three-seam leather wrap.  The single-seam cover is much thicker and higher quality leather.

I agree that the single-seam one fit perfect and was very high quality.  The three-seam cover was just OK.

I have put those on 3 different cars. I was not aware there were different ones.

All 3 I installed were exactly the same. Never heard of single and three seam.

Yeah, the first one I bought was a single seam and it was awesome.  For my next Z, I went back to the same auto parts store (a year or so later) and went to the same rack and bought what I thought was the same thing.  The price was about the same as before.  When I went to put it on, I immediately noticed how much thinner it was and that there were three seams.  It was thin enough that there were bulges at each seam when installed.  I left it on and used it, but it was never as nice.  The third time I needed one (for a Toyota 4x4), I tried a different store and found that some on the rack were singe and others were triple seam.  The single seam ones were more expensive, but much thicker leather.

Yeah, the first one I bought was a single seam and it was awesome.  For my next Z, I went back to the same auto parts store (a year or so later) and went to the same rack and bought what I thought was the same thing.  The price was about the same as before.  When I went to put it on, I immediately noticed how much thinner it was and that there were three seams.  It was thin enough that there were bulges at each seam when installed.  I left it on and used it, but it was never as nice.  The third time I needed one (for a Toyota 4x4), I tried a different store and found that some on the rack were singe and others were triple seam.  The single seam ones were more expensive, but much thicker leather.

Is this the single seam? Shown at the bottom of the wheel.

Are you referring to the dual colored ones as the 3 seam?

post-4108-0-22562200-1440178343_thumb.jp

Cut out my exhaust and welded up a side exit in front of RL wheel, went for a burn and the exhaust issue seems unchanged...

Wondering though since I'll be redoing this what a good sounding muffler would be for a 3L at only 10:1 through a 2.5" pipe. I'm more about rich high rev sounds than rumble heavy idle...

A resonator shaped flow through would be easiest for me if those work... Ie glass pack, dunno how they sound. What might this 3L through 45mm OERs at 1:50 for example be running... Hard to judge daily driver loudness I suppose.

This 3L through 45mm OERs at 1:50 for example

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by oranngetang

Is this the single seam? Shown at the bottom of the wheel.

Are you referring to the dual colored ones as the 3 seam?

Yes, that's a single seam cover.  It uses one piece of leather.  The three-seam is three smaller, therefore cheaper, pieces of leather.  It has a seam at 6 o:clock as well as seams at 2 and 10 o:clock.  The cover was still a single color.

EDIT:  This is interesting.  I went to the wheelskins website and clicked on one-color leather.  As I went through the four sample colors, the gray, red and blue are single seam, but the black appears to be a three-seam cover.  They say nothing about it in the description.

http://wheelskins.com/original

Edited by Jeff G 78

• Mike locked this topic