IGNORED

E-31 head, whatch'all think?

siteunseen

Good point Steve......Felpro makes a short valve seal that I use on my E31 head with the .490 lift Isky Stage III cam. It is supposed to handle up to .500 inch lift.

Improved L6 Valve Stem Seals - L-Series - HybridZ

You can use the stock valve seals on an .080 inch shaved P79 or P90 head because the valve springs are shimmed up .080 inches with the longer early L28 valves when you use the Isky Stage III (.490 lift) cam though.

Edited by Diseazd

Well I can hardly wait to measure the seals that are on there now. They're the same blueish green color as the Fel-Pro # SS72686 recommended in the hybridz link. The head came from a knowledgeable Z guy it seemed. His Dad was big into Zs and held onto this E31 head and the Weber 40s for his son who unfortunately had to sale the project, lucky for me though. The only thing I'm doing different than his plan is using flat pistons instead of the dished ones that came with the deal. He too was saving for the cam kit when his new paint and body shop's bills jumped to the front of the line. Life happens.

Thanks guys for the help, I can't read or buy y'all's experience.

So the competition cam will clear pistons okay?

I'll be searching for the right head gasket thickness and if that lowers the compression too much I'll go with the stage III.

Hybridz here I come. I'll have to take a Valium though, those guys can be intense.

Maybe I'll just be safe and get the stage III like Dizeased suggest, I'm not going racing.

Edited by siteunseen

From all I have read-don't go with a thicker gasket to lower compression. Keep the squish tight to fend off detonation. So far good luck with my Nismo 1.25mm

So you have a stage II? Which company? and do you like it or wish you had gone bigger? I've watched your videos and enjoyed the chirp into 3rd gear.

Thanks,

Cliff