IGNORED

Fitting a HEI Module in Transistor Ignition Unit 1977 280Z

EuroDat

I didn't know the 1977 280Z had a passenger's side kick panel.   Do you have a photo of it?

The document is quite good!  A tip:  we usually put the abbreviations and definitions near the beginning.

I was wondering if it was original because it look modified and I couldn't remember one being there before this car. The PO probably mounted it for the speaker. I didn't refit it because the speaker was stuffed and missing its cover.

Its laying around somewhere in one of the boxes of parts. I look for it and post some photo's of it.

Thanks for the tip. Ill do that and remove the tekst about the kick panel.

How are you going with your TIU. Having any luck finding a replacement?

Chas

• 1 month later...

I made a simple wiring diagram of the setup Im now building. Its a little different around the resistor.

Im using a 12V coil and bypassing the resistor. The wire from the ignition switch is connected, but doesn't have any purpose atm.

attachicon.gif67436.attach

Thanks to Wayne (wal280Z) for the awsome effort he has done with the color wiring diagram.

Some photo's of the work in progress.

attachicon.gif67428.attach

I would suggest the use of the right-angle, or "flag" terminals, to reduce the size of  things

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2014 at 0:28 PM, EuroDat said:

I have been driving for a couple of days now and its still running much better. I must admit I was not to eager to drive it after all the problems, but now its brillant. My faith has returned.

The engine revs hard to 6000rpm and sounds better than before. Not sure if thats due to the new coil or HEI module since I had to changed them at the same time. I think most of my problem was in the TIU.

Once everything has proven itself, I will make a tech article maybe after I upgrade to the flame thrower.

If anyone is interested in a base plate I made a simple drawing. Its on scale 1:1, but all the measurements are there so if the scale gets messed up it wont matter.

Chas

BasePlate001.pdf

Hey EuroChas, I am about to link to this thread for someone that might be having a module problem.  I'm pretty sure that your .pdf file is not in the Downloads area.  Do you want to give it a look-over and upload it?   It's definitely worth a spot there, probably in Tech Articles.  

@EuroDat