IGNORED

cleaning windshield washer bottle

timsz

I think dry walnut shells would do a better job than coffee grounds in water. The idea with that is to slightly smooth or polish the inside surface. You could make the plastic "clear" by just filling it water, but as soon as it dries, it will show the aging again.

I am also a member on the Meguiar's website, so I posted this question, hoping one of their experts could recommend something. I did get a reply from a "detailing expert" who simply just says that you can't polish it like a headlight lens, so "just buy a new one." I wasn't aware the coolant reservoir was relate to the headlight lens.

40-year-old new plastic bottles?

• 2 weeks later...

I looked into this some and did some thinking about the thing too. Basically what you have is an oxidized plastic surface; sort of like rusted metal. By using the peroxide & oxy mixture, you are basically removing the layer of oxidized plastic, and that makes the thickness of the reservoir wall thinner. Sure it might look like new, but what do you do the next time it starts to look milky or opaque? You use more of the solution to 'melt off' the oxidized stuff, and the plastic gets thinner yet. Eventually you will have holes in it.

So what you really need is a way to convert the stuff on the inside surface back to a transparent or translucent plastic- essentially restoring it to a like-new condition. Either a restoration product or a transparent coating is needed here, not an "acid." But without knowing exactly what kind of plastic it is, you are probably doing it more harm than good. Even my polymer Chemist friends can't suggest anything but to 'polish off' the stuff to get back to the original plastic.