IGNORED

Wish I paid closer attention!

rcb280z

I installed a full face dash cover a few years back. Wish I knew then what I found out today. I was going to pull all the gauges and remove the white faces I put on them. I want them back to original. But I can't get the tach or speedo out. They are hitting the lip of the full face dash cover as I try pulling them out. There is about a 1" lip all around the inside of the opening keeping me from pulling them all the way out. Anyone else have this issue and have a solution besides removing the dash cover? It is glued down.

Stick some stiff paper or thin metal sheet between the dash cap lip and the edge of the gauge to make a ramp. Spray a little Armorall or spit on it for lubrication. The plastic will stretch a little, make sure it's not too cold so you don't crack it. I slipped mine out the first time I took them out, with a half-cap. Since then I've removed the cap and see the cracks as character.

Koalia:

I had to cut a wide slot in a 10mm 3/8" drive short socket that would fit over the wings of that wingnut to get enough leverage to break it free. I think I had to use a 3/8-1/4 adapter then a 1/4 drive handle to get in there. Big hands and Z dash are not the best of friends...

I followed the install instructions, like most probably did, that came with my cap. Mine included the silicone to glue it down. If I'm able to remove it completely without destroying it I will re-install another way....maybe with 3m double sided tape or something. Oh well, live and learn.

I would like to remove my cap. I think the PO glued it according to the instructions, but it doesnt line up to well around the glovebox and the datsun emblem in also half covered.

Anyone done this with any sucess? I would like to do the SEM repair method.

When I peeled my half-cap off the silicone stayed behind on the dash. The installer had only laid a few lines of adhesive down though. I was able to remove most of it, but I still have spots that are stuck permanently. If you're going to be sanding and resurfacing it probably won't matter.

Peel up an edge and see what happens. Get the interior nice and warm first though, the cap is made of ABS or a similar plastic and will crack if it's stressed cold. In case it doesn't come off easy and you change your mind, or you want to try to resell it. Otherwise, just break it off in chunks.

....maybe with 3m double sided tape or something. Oh well, live and learn.

Be careful which tape you buy. If you get the good stuff you will not be able to get it off without destroying it.

Saying that, you could always use Velcro to attach the cover.