IGNORED

5 speed knob reproduction?

Decoy12

That looks just about like I envisioned it-Sharp! My plan for the space between the 5 speed metal emblem and the existing opening was to machine a stepped ring to fill the space with-and to give the emblem a concentric circle similar to the one the plastic emblem and the metal 4 speed emblem have-I also considered removing the glass, and filling the recessed area of the emblem with body color matched paint.

Edited by hls30.com

• 3 months later...

Here are some pictures for the original green 4 speed knob. I know it's not the 5 speed but this could help those that want original 4 speed knobs.

The picture of my original that came with my car 11/75 - 76 280, a picture of the new (looks never used) insert I purchased on Ebay last week. I also made a drawing from the new one. Hope this helps someone.

post-13827-14150823454503_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150823453526_thumb.jpg

post-13827-14150823453892_thumb.jpg

Here is the knob I was referring to, it was off of a 75 Fairlady Z. Looks just like the wood USDM 4 speed that came on the 240z, but with a 5th speed on it. I believe the seller is on this site, but this is the only picture I have that the seller sent me of the knob before it broke. I have a friend that has a nice one I will see if he can post it later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57175[/ATTACH]

I have three of these knobs. They came with the Aussie cars which all had 5 speeds. You may want to ask around here. I bought the last one for $15. Happy to post detailed pics if wanted.

I wonder how many of those $200 5spd shift knobs they sell each year? It is pricing like that keeps people away from these cars along with the fact that many of the parts owners really need are no longer made. Absolutely disappointing! GM and Ford support almost all of their classic cars either by still offering many parts at dealerships or allowing companies to re-produce parts. Nissan needs to get it over itself and either truly support their classic cars with in stock parts at reasonable prices or let other companies do it for them like MSA, Classic Datsun, and the like.

I wonder how many of those $200 5spd shift knobs they sell each year? It is pricing like that keeps people away from these cars along with the fact that many of the parts owners really need are no longer made. Absolutely disappointing! GM and Ford support almost all of their classic cars either by still offering many parts at dealerships or allowing companies to re-produce parts. Nissan needs to get it over itself and either truly support their classic cars with in stock parts at reasonable prices or let other companies do it for them like MSA, Classic Datsun, and the like.

Get over itself? The thing is, Nissan doesn't need to do anything. Are you suggesting Nissan tools up for tiny production runs of parts for cars they made 40 years ago? That's never going to happen.

It's all about the market. Compare the production numbers of Mustangs to the S30 and you'll have the answer of why they're better supported.

With that said, there are reproductions being made for plenty of Z parts, just look at MSA's site. I don't think Nissan is stopping anyone. I also don't think a $200 shift knob on ebay keeps people away from these cars. Frankly, the cheap price of entry into the Z-world reflects the opposite and thus the Z populace generally seems notoriously cheap (compared to other vintage car owners).

I wouldn't mind prices of Z parts going up at all, it'll make my hoard more valuable. LOL

The biggest issue with that knob for me is that it although it may be Nissan, it is clearly not a period knob - the original knobs were much narrower. A period knob recently went for $400 on Yahoo Japan.

• 9 months later...

Anyone have an update? I mailed the remains of my 5 speed to one of the members here soon after I started this thread with promises of close to finishing the final product/restoring my own and using it to display the reproduction, but I have not heard back or had my last 2 PMs replied to since. Any luck OILUJ?

Edited by Decoy12