IGNORED

Muffler suggestions

branham76

I'm currently running a Monza exhaust system from the 80's. So what's the best muffler or exhaust going today. I know this thread is old, but things change in 2 years. Looking for ideas. I've heard bad reviews on the Motorsport Auto turbo exhaust system.

I've got the Premium Exhaust from MSA, Motorsport! MSA Premium Exhaust System, 9/74-78 260Z-280Z (for 6-1 Headers) - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts to match their 6 to 1 ceramic coated header and absolutely love it. Some people complain about the droning at constant highway speeds and this seems to be solution, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24215/. I drive my Camry on the highway so the droning doesn't bother me when I'm ripping around here in my Z. It bothers other people though, it's pretty loud when you're on it, but it only bothers them for a second or two.

Like siteunseen, I have also used the MSA premium exhaust system with their coated headers. Fit and finish was excellent and the install was very straightforward.

About the only thing I was not 100% with was the included DynoMax muffler. I had issues for a couple of reasons. First, the sound was not exactly what I was looking for and second, it was a very tight fit getting it up in the cavity in the rear and as a result I would experience the muffler vibrating against the body frame at times, especially when it was cold. I installed this on a late manufacture 260Z with the early 280Z bumpers and this configuration leaves less room in that cavity than the 240 or early 260.

I ended up replacing it with a MagnaFlow polished muffler that was slightly smaller than the DynoMax, so the fit was better and it virtually eliminated any vibrations that I had before. I also like the sound of this better as well. It is throatier and sounds great as you go through the gears. I have even had people comment that they thought I had a V8 under the hood.

Mike.

The bigger the diameter lower the sound. I like the pitch of a super-sprint exhaust it sounds a lot like the 50's/early 60's Ferrari. If you want a lower register sound go with a larger diameter resonator. If money is no object go with the Fujitsubo system the build is first class, but you can build something that sounds and functions the same for 1/4 of the cost, especial if you do not care that you have ceramic coated stainless steel. Now their was a company that makes a resonator that looks the same as the supersprints inside and out. Which I'll spend the looking for it if someone is interested, I'll even measure my full sysem and give you the meshurements to copy the original setup.

Used the MSA six into one as well.

Didn't fit well for my application, ended up at my local muffler place to have it tweaked into shape. Also installed a flow through bottle resonator that eliminated the droning......highly recommended.

Still howls when you get on it but won't annoy the world when you are cruising around.

Dean

• 2 months later...

Just received my MSA Exhaust last week and was looking forward to the final mechanical repair to our car ... sadly it doesn't fit. As mentioned above, it looks like MSA exhausts may have some alignment issues. I'm running a stock manifold on a stock Z and expected a everything to fit without issues. The price is attractive but having to have it tweaked may negate any price savings. Can't address the sound of the exhaust yet since its not installed yet.

I have a 2 1/2" Borla exhaust system for sale in the classifieds. I'll give you a good deal on the muffler and any of the other stainless steel parts.

Fixitman

I don't see this in the classifieds?

EDIT: Just realized this was 2 years old.

Edited by HuD 91gt