IGNORED

Newest addition to the garage.

Diseazd

I believe that relay is specific to automatics and controls spark timing. Interesting, however, is that the FSM for 72 doesn't mention a dual point distributor in the EE section, but there are mentions of dual points for automatics elsewhere.

For example, page EC-11 has a description of the dual point system and a picture of the relay that does the control. Also, on BE-1, there is a connection for the "Thermo Relay".

So... Do you have a dual point distributor in your auto trans car?

73 and 74 had a full blown documented system, but it's looking like 72 was a transitional year? The parts were there, but the documentation hadn't caught up yet?

Zup....I have no idea.....the car was an automatic (I changed it to manual). It's a single point distributor however and I don't notice any difference regards to the way it drives versus my other manual cars. The wires to the distributor end up in the same place as my other cars, so I don't see how it could affect timing. I'm guessing it's a relay for the A/C which I removed......since I know bat**** about electrical stuff, I'd refer to our resident electrical genius (SteveJ) even if he did go to Vandy!

Edited by Diseazd

OK, so the car is (was) an auto. Has a single point dizzy now, but had a dual point when it left the factory.

To check if it's the thermo relay... The thermo relay has four wires, a green, two blacks, and a red with a black stripe. If it's got those four wires going to it, then it quacks like a duck.

Guy, your impressive collection of cars just humbles me every time I see it. You simply cannot post enough pictures to satisfy me.

also do you usually run 16" panasports? I really like how the panasports on your new, latest, recent, not sure how to refer to one of your Z's, looks.

Zedy....Thanks so much for your kind words.....I just love to do these cars the right way.....they're not making any more of 'em. I always buy 16 inch Panasport wheels....my favorite tire size is 205 55 16....nice look, no rubbing.....the orange car wears that size. The 225 50 16's are the best looking (the green car), but there is some rub issues. Spruell Racing in Atlanta has the best deal on Panasports....$150.00 cheaper than anyone else. Guy

• 2 weeks later...